Echo & Alexa Forums

Needs more advanced bluetooth device pairing/connections

zakpucci

Needs more advanced bluetooth device pairing/connections
« on: January 23, 2017, 09:15:48 pm »
What about more advanced bluetooth device pairing/connections?

For example, would be pretty simple programming to be able to pair a bluetooth speaker to the echo, then have an option to name it "upstairs bedroom", then another called "kitchen", then be able to say "Alexa, connect to upstairs bedroom"

This could even be added as a feature in the "Smart Home" section where you're able to make groups for smart devices.

Currently all we have are some generic profiles, for example, I connected my laptop, Alexa named the speaker "BCM20702B0 Generic USB Class 1 @ 20 MHz", and then told me; if I want to connect ot his device again, just say "Alexa, connect to my phone". I'm sure you can see the issue, this isn't my phone, this is my laptop, and now I have to hear "Connected to BCM20702B0 Generic USB Class 1 @ 20 MHz" from Alexa when I connect to it being forced to say "Alexa, connect to my phone" rather than, "Alexa, connect to my laptop"

I'm sure it's on the to-do list, but I hope it's a priority item, this is such a huge smart home feature that I know many people have been waiting for. Walking up the stairs and yell to Alexa to switch the music to upstairs? Come on. So obvious.

mike27oct

Re: Needs more advanced bluetooth device pairing/connections
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2017, 10:26:24 pm »
It's all about the BT speakers, not Echo devices.  Not going to happen if you understand BT better.

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2017, 05:01:15 am »

For example, would be pretty simple programming to be able to pair a bluetooth speaker to the echo, then have an option to name it "upstairs bedroom", then another called "kitchen", then be able to say "Alexa, connect to upstairs bedroom"

This could even be added as a feature in the "Smart Home" section where you're able to make groups for smart devices.

Currently all we have are some generic profiles, for example, I connected my laptop, Alexa named the speaker "BCM20702B0 Generic USB Class 1 @ 20 MHz", and then told me; if I want to connect ot his device again, just say "Alexa, connect to my phone". I'm sure you can see the issue, this isn't my phone, this is my laptop, and now I have to hear "Connected to BCM20702B0 Generic USB Class 1 @ 20 MHz" from Alexa when I connect to it being forced to say "Alexa, connect to my phone" rather than, "Alexa, connect to my laptop"

I'm sure it's on the to-do list, but I hope it's a priority item, this is such a huge smart home feature that I know many people have been waiting for. Walking up the stairs and yell to Alexa to switch the music to upstairs? Come on. So obvious.

I think companies like sono is working on that feature.  just keep watch for it on your favorite tech site. 

Offline kevb

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2017, 07:26:12 am »
For 50 bucks, you can get another dot for upstairs.

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2017, 07:37:06 am »
The BT device name is pulled from the device it looks at the mac address first then the name.
Some devices can be renamed like your Phone or laptop I've done both of these.
My DOT sees My phone as "T's Phone" it sees my PC as "Tuicemen's PC" it sees my Laptop as "Win10 Laptop"
Although I have most of my devices renamed I still have to say Alexa connect to my phone to connect to my PC :o :(
Speakers can't be renamed of course (yet)
I played with BT discovery while creating a Bluetooth program to trigger events based on who came home.
It is possible to rename a BT device in a program like Alexa but suspect it is low on the to do lists. However if it hasn't been suggested yet it will never get done. ;)

asianrocker

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2017, 07:21:39 am »

I know this is old and just had an echo almost a month now. But when I connect to my laptop, echo names it how I  named my laptop so I don't know why it is named so long like that.

Also, all I say when I want to connect to BT device is.. alexa, pair. When I turn on my laptop, echo also automatically pair with my laptop anyway.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 07:36:53 am by asianrocker »

Jeff29

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2017, 01:04:14 am »
It's all about the BT speakers, not Echo devices.  Not going to happen if you understand BT better.

The way the question was posed the answer is no.

If Alexa acted as an audio server the problem would be easy to solve.  I think this would be a primary motivator in choosing Amazon device solutions--the ability to select and route audio.

Just so the original poster understands--I'm proposing a solution that addresses the question with multiple devices and would allow "Alexa, play my playlist in my office" from anywhere or "Alexa continue my music selection in the den" (moving from my office to the den).  How about if you have Amazon Cloud Cam the ability for Alexa to follow you from room to room with your music (like the more expensive audio solutions)--but that's a future thing given Amazon devices and security are currently entry-level (and getting some good reviews).  I'm specifically not addressing the naming conventions you mentioned as that is forced by BT (so you have to know the naming for verbal commands, as you mentioned).

asianrocker

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2017, 07:59:37 am »
The OP's 'need' as far as I know, is actually already a reality. I mean Alexa already has groups and multi room function. As for BT name I know you have an option to rename it on your phone or your PC. You don't even have to tell Alexa to pair to  BT devices once you pair it, it automatically connects.

Agree with entry level security.

Jeff29

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2017, 12:42:11 am »
You don't even have to tell Alexa to pair to  BT devices once you pair it, it automatically connects.
True.  Which for Amazon devices is severely broken.  A user should be able to use a verbal command to switch back to the internal speaker (which is currently an impossibility).  It's further broken in that if your turn off your Bluetooth speaker the Amazon device pretends its still there and your audio is gone (meaning you have to see the lights and realize Alexa is responding via the "off" Bluetooth speaker).  A recent update added this fun feature.  I am surprised this isn't a significant accessibility issue.  Which means you just gave me a new idea to try on Amazon Echo support--thanks!

Agree with entry level security.
Soooo true.  :)