Echo & Alexa Forums

Alexa butting-in?

kejones

Alexa butting-in?
« on: July 27, 2015, 04:32:40 pm »
The other day Alexa interrupted a conversation between me and my son.  I don't remember exactly what I (or she) said, but my son (who is pretty skinny) and I were talking about a pair of new shorts he bought and complained about being too big.  I looked at the tag and they were 'relaxed fit'.  I explained, "That means they put of bunch of extra material in there for people with big butts".  Alexa interrupted and said something like, "I'm sorry, but that's not the sort of conversation I'm accustomed to having" - which brought confused stares from both me and my son.

I think Alexa was triggered by the words 'of extra', heard the rest of the sentence, and just decided it wasn't an appropriate topic for her.  ;D

Anyone else see Alexa occasionally butting in to your discussions?

ScarlettPhoenix

Re: Alexa butting-in?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2015, 04:45:34 pm »
Lately, she has randomly spouted off with such musings but they are so few and far between, we just laugh them off. If she starts to become a regular part of our conversations, I'll begin to charge her rent... :o

mike27oct

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2015, 02:02:00 am »
Two weeks living with Alexa, and tonight she butt-in for her first time.  Here's what to do when this happens:
- Go to Echo app Home page
- Find where she made her comment; likely first line
- See what she said, and listen to what you said
- Tic no, if it is all wrong and a message will be sent to Amazon tattling on her
- remove power for a few moments and power up again; she's obviously hearing her name when it is not called

Since the Echo, like many gizmos today, doesn't have an on/off switch, I have mine (and other gizmos) plugged into a plug-in-wall on/off switch.  Very handy and easier than unplugging device.

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2015, 04:25:56 am »
It happened to me while watching the tv show Castle.   He yelled for his daughter and my echo started playing some strange music.  His daughters name is alexa  :-)

daveg

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2015, 06:57:20 pm »
Mine loves to respond to the Echo tv commercial.

Scared the begezus out of me the first time since I wasn't paying attention to the tv at the time.

ScarlettPhoenix

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2015, 02:24:15 pm »
She's been randomly chiming in on conversations when no one is in the room. I think she's talking to other worldly beings! LOL!

OTOH- I had a substitute teacher work for me on Friday and left my class with him. He was a seasoned teacher but not too up on today's technology. I showed him Alexa and my students (Middle school music students) supposedly knew not to ask her anything while I was gone. I don't even allow them to talk to her when I'm in the room.  Anyways, imagine my surprise when I viewed the app and found 2 requests for songs while I was gone. I will nail the perps on Monday because I have their voices recorded asking for "Watch Me (Whip Nae Nae)." 
They should have asked for "Who's Crying Now?"
Yeah-technology is a beautiful thing.

Offline jwlv

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2015, 05:19:42 pm »
HAHA that is awesome! :)

rskolin

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2015, 01:10:51 pm »
While I really haven't experienced what some of you have, I have had more instances recently where Echo would just arbitrarily turn on. I generally listen to Tune-in Radio on my Echo and there are times where it comes on and plays without my asking.