Echo & Alexa Forums

Alex supported 3/4 gang dimmers with incandescent bulbs

ABitClueless

Alex supported 3/4 gang dimmers with incandescent bulbs
« on: January 15, 2017, 10:18:34 am »
Hi,

I have an existing 3-gang dimmer switch and 4-gang dimmer switch, and would like to control all separately via Alexa and keep dimmable. I also want to keep my incandescent bulbs as I live in a Grade II listed cottage and it would look horrible with the LEDs, plus most of my lighting is picture-lights. To add even more complexity, one of the switches on the 4-gang pulls 400W as it controls 8 old fashioned Edison Style bulbs over a dining table.

I'm been googling for weeks now and can't even figure out if this is possible. The closest I can find is the LightwaveRF 3 and 4 gang switches (http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/lightwaverf-lw240wh-4-gang-210w-light-switch-white-master-switch-n34ll ) but I'm not sure they're compatable with Alexa (LightwaveRF website says yes, but all the product sites don't mention it). 
Also, I don't know if this setup would still support incandescent bulbs.

I should also mention I'm in the UK so would need 240v.
Any advice would be gratefully received.
Thanks. Karen.

AndyWilson

Re: Alex supported 3/4 gang dimmers with incandescent bulbs
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2017, 11:44:17 am »
I've got a 1 gang LWRF dimmer that works fine with Alexa.

I'm pretty sure all of their switches are limited to 250W though - what exactly is it about LEDs that stops you using them?
If it's the colour temperature there's some pretty warm (2700K) LED bulbs out there nowadays.