Get CPR certified in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.
Echo & Alexa Forums

Connecting a Dot in the Car w/ FoxFi?

Skipwill

Re: Connecting a Dot in the Car w/ FoxFi?
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2017, 06:05:54 pm »
I use my dot in the car during longer trips. It is better than satellite radio, in my opinion. I use a 2.1 amp tablet car charger for the dot. I use the hot spot on my phone for the internet connection. All works great.

Skip
« Last Edit: February 21, 2017, 06:09:08 pm by Skipwill »

malliekm

« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2017, 07:17:42 pm »
I think long trips would be the only time I'd use it too.  I have satellite radio but I think that's comparing apples to oranges to compare it to the Echo family.  Both would be fun during a trip :)  I need to get back out there and try it again.  My first attempt to connect didn't work.  The car has a couple of 110 outlets so all I need to do is use my cell phone as a hotspot.

Skipwill

« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2017, 09:30:12 am »
On trips, my wife and I like to play "stump Alexa" with 50 and 60s music. I have to admit Alexa does pretty well. I did stump her with Itchycoo Park by Small Faces only because she couldn't understand the word Itchycoo. ;-)

Skip

malliekm

« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2017, 03:22:18 pm »
You've stumped me too! LOL

taylor.tyler

« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2017, 04:25:06 pm »
Taylor, most anyone knows that any new and cool device left in clear view in a car is asking to be stolen.  When GPS was new, the things got stolen all the time, (and probably still are). Locked cars even get broken into to steal things.  Use your noodle.

Thanks, Mike! Was simply wondering if anyone had considered it - I don't leave anything valuable in my car but, in bringing a Dot into the vehicle, was curious if folks had considered what they might do with the device when they're not with their car. Appreciate your swift and to-the-point feedback.

taylor.tyler

« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2017, 04:27:22 pm »
Hi malliekm, Sorry - let me clarify: is anyone worried about the Echo Dot being stolen if you're using it in your car?

I really hadn't thought about it Taylor.  I live in a very low crime rate area...cows and horses don't have much use for Alexa (g)  But, if/when I ever do have one in my car, I'm sure I'd hide it when I got out of the car.  Hummm, wondering about the heat effect on a Dot.  Texas summer temps are often in the 100s.  That makes the inside of a car about 140-150.

Thanks for your feedback, Mallie! Good point - high temps are definitely something to consider.

euromade

mike27oct

« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2017, 05:29:07 pm »
This is when a Tap comes in handy.  Just don't forget to bring it out of the garage when done!

malliekm

« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2017, 08:46:25 pm »
Check out this site
https://community.smartthings.com/t/echo-dot-operating-temperature-arizona-garage/61009

Thanks!  I would just plop the thing in my purse when I left the car.  Goodness knows there's room in there (g)