Echo & Alexa User Discussions and Support Forums

When a person is not breathing, permanent brain damage begins after 4 minutes and death in 6 minutes after that. Can you count on help arriving before that time? Learning proper CPR techniques is easy and you can learn it in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.

sockets and switches

sockets and switches
« on: January 14, 2017, 10:17:26 am »
hi, does anyone know if there are any socket faceplates or light switches that work in the same way as wemo without the need for a dedicated hub.

Re: sockets and switches
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2017, 11:30:44 am »
What do you mean work the same way?
Controllable by a smartphone via Wi-Fi?
Controllable via Alexa?
There are many HA devices that don't require a hub and can be controlled via Wi-Fi.
iTead makes several and they plan to release a skill next month

A hub is just a min PC usually running Linux dedicated to those devices.
If you have a PC that you can leave running at least when you Plan to use Alexa then you can create your own hub.
BWS Systems HA-Bridge is just one of many software hub solutions available.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2017, 11:36:47 am by tuicemen »

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2017, 11:43:55 am »
what im looking for is something similar to the way the lifx bulbs/tp-link plugs work directly with alexa without a hub but in the form of a replacement faceplate socket or light switch. the light switch is my main want because i dont have many single pendant lights in the house and if someone made a replacement 13A socket to do away with a bulky plug in the way they integrate usb into a faceplay now that would be awesome. 

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2017, 12:13:19 pm »
So the requirements are Wi-Fi and has a Skill already created?
My HA setup is about 99% x10 which I control with Alexa however I do that with PC software.
The other 10 % is wemo, zwave, easybulb and itead sonoff which I don't use much.
Have you dug into the Smarthome Skills in Alexa to see what is there?

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2017, 12:23:12 pm »
i did see the wemo switches but no 240V offering for the uk. closest i can see to my needs is the lightwaverf that does require a hub but is directly controlled via alexa. i guess its just a waiting game for belkin/tp-link to release a 240v socket faceplate/light switch to go with their hubless line of smart devices

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2017, 01:22:19 pm »
iTead has a Wi-Fi light switch for 240 you can control from your smartphone.
https://www.itead.cc/smart-home/sonoff-touch.html
There is no Skill for it at the moment but that may come before  Belkin or tp-link has the hardware your looking for.
I've read it is in the works and should be ready by next month. ;)

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2017, 03:15:28 am »
TP-link makes a mini smart plug socket (HS 105) that truly takes up one socket of a wall pair.  It's small, and I just got myself a few.

Personally, I would not want something that needs to be installed and take the place of the current socket.  If something goes wrong, remove and replace becomes a hassle.

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2017, 04:35:07 am »
I too would like a smart socket rather than a smart plug. The first thing I want to try (with my Echo) in the area of home automation is controlling the hot water immersion heater. The switch is right at the top of the house. I could put a plug on the cable to the element, but I'd rather not.

I haven't seen anything yet. (And I'm probably further limited by UK/240V requirement.)

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2017, 04:44:49 am »
its looking more and more like lightwaverf is the only option for replacement scockets and switches.  has anyone had any good/bad experiences?

Offline tthoben

• Greetings from sunny Singapore!
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2017, 05:11:56 am »
Yes there are smart switches. If you are familiar with aliexpress.com you can look for broadlink TC2 smart switches. It works with their proprietary app without a hub, but with their hub (called RM pro) u can integrate the switches with Alexa
Echo Dot @ SG