Echo & Alexa Forums

UK: British Summer Time(zone) - how do we set it?

bubbacable

UK: British Summer Time(zone) - how do we set it?
« on: January 11, 2017, 04:48:34 pm »
Hi

British Summer Time will be upon us soon. And I've been using GMT and WET for my time settings.
This will not be sufficient when the clocks change on Sunday 26 March 2017.

What is the appropriate setting I should use to make sure Alexa will keep pace?

Thanks

Charmin

Re: UK: British Summer Time(zone) - how do we set it?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2017, 08:05:52 am »
No replies says it all.... blank looks from Amazon as well....

strayfish

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2017, 09:43:03 am »
I had a look as well - GMT is all we get. Although the Echo was only released here in October so maybe Amazon is going to push out a BST option in the next few weeks. Going to be a whole lot of noise in their complaints box otherwise when we're all late for work!

StevenR

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2017, 12:59:57 pm »
Looking at the US timezones in the Alexa settings, they all appear to be the "Standard Time" variants. This makes me think it will probably be an automatic thing so, although you have "Greenwich Mean Time" as the timezone, this will become "British Summer Time" when the clocks go forward and revert back when they go back.

strayfish

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2017, 01:21:40 pm »
I hope someone at Amazon HQ has realised they'll have to be ready to sprinkle our special magic summer dust by late March or we'll be in a right old tizz over here!

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2017, 06:11:39 pm »
I suspect it will be automatic as well. On this side of the pond we have what is called daylight savings time. most home automation software has the times of set back and forward built in. It isn't something that the British just started this year is it?
Since Amazon Alexa uses the cloud as long as your location is set correctly you shouldn't have a time issue.

strayfish

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2017, 06:24:26 pm »
I suspect it will be automatic as well. On this side of the pond we have what is called daylight savings time. most home automation software has the times of set back and forward built in. It isn't something that the British just started this year is it?
Since Amazon Alexa uses the cloud as long as your location is set correctly you shouldn't have a time issue.

That's most likely how it will work, although it has to be said that 'most likely' or most intuitive isn't an immediately obvious strategy with this device! Let's see how it pans out.

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2017, 06:57:24 pm »
LOL so true!
 ;)

Charmin

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2017, 08:42:08 pm »
From my experience so far Amazon Echo UK seem totally incompetent so I doubt they have thought about British Summer Time... in fact they will probably say What is it...
Interesting someone said the customer service inbox will be full of complaints... could someone actually tell me how, where or if you can contact them specifically for an ECHO...  I've not found anyway in the UK.

strayfish

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2017, 04:32:26 am »

Interesting someone said the customer service inbox will be full of complaints... could someone actually tell me how, where or if you can contact them specifically for an ECHO...  I've not found anyway in the UK.

That was me and rather more turn of phrase than accurate fact. I've never contacted Amazon about the Echo but I've had very good and prompt service when I've contacted them about other things. You have to drill down through the Help pages though, they don't make it easy.

Also, while we're here - we'd all be early wouldn't we, not late? As ever, clocks back/forward bamboozles my personal time/space continuum!