Echo & Alexa Forums

Music

blackbeagle

Music
« on: January 09, 2017, 05:51:06 pm »
Hi Everyone-

Newbie owner here. I want to know how sometimes I ask Alexa to play a song and it plays the full song. other time, I get the "Here's a sample from.....". Why does that happen? Also I want to put all my songs into the 'library' but need to know where this library resides. Is this something I need to upload to Amazon cloud or something?

90% of the time, I'm going to use it to play music as I have it connected to a nice BT speaker.

Re: Music
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2017, 06:35:23 pm »
are you specifying the music service you want the song from?

mike27oct

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2017, 10:30:08 pm »
If you are playing from Free Amazon Prime, not all full songs are available, but for EXTRA money Amazon is happy to sell you their Unlimited Music service.

Alpha Bitch

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2017, 11:31:54 pm »
Hi Everyone-

Newbie owner here. I want to know how sometimes I ask Alexa to play a song and it plays the full song. other time, I get the "Here's a sample from.....". Why does that happen? Also I want to put all my songs into the 'library' but need to know where this library resides. Is this something I need to upload to Amazon cloud or something?

90% of the time, I'm going to use it to play music as I have it connected to a nice BT speaker.

Check out the following links:
Get Your Music Into Amazon Music So Alexa Can Play It
Amazon/Alexa Music

HTH

Flaxcon

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2017, 09:11:47 am »
I had the same issue last night.  When I said "Play Garth Brooks" it played the sample from the album Garth Brooks, so I needed to say "Play song by Garth Brooks" and it played some of his songs.  I have the music service included with prime not the one you need to pay extra for.

blackbeagle

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2017, 02:57:45 pm »
Well the problem is that it's inconsistent. My toddler loves to hear "I had a little Turtle". She claps when that goes on. So the first few weeks, when I say, "Alexa, play I had a little Turtle", the whole song would play. Ever since, it says, "Here's a sample" and it plays a completely different song.

mindmagic

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2017, 04:42:27 am »
Try "play I had a little turtle by XXXX".

blackbeagle

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2017, 04:17:23 pm »
Nope. Tried that. It doesn't work. The song is "I had a little Turtle" by Hooplakidz. It worked in the past when I just read the title. Now if I read the title and the performer, it says it doesn't recognize or can't find it. That's why I'm confused. It worked fine a few weeks ago but now it doesn't.

I would be happy to load all of my songs, including this one into a network drive. But I need to know how I can connect Echo to this network drive and access all of my songs. Is this possible?

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2017, 04:25:22 pm »
Nope. Tried that. It doesn't work. The song is "I had a little Turtle" by Hooplakidz. It worked in the past when I just read the title. Now if I read the title and the performer, it says it doesn't recognize or can't find it. That's why I'm confused. It worked fine a few weeks ago but now it doesn't.

I would be happy to load all of my songs, including this one into a network drive. But I need to know how I can connect Echo to this network drive and access all of my songs. Is this possible?

as I asked before and you neglected to answer, what service is the song on?   you may have to say the name of the service when you asked for the song.  amazon tends to make minor adjustments that is supposed to be better but not always so for all.   in the meantime you can upload 250 songs to amazon music for free so you can upload that song there.

blackbeagle

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2017, 02:35:29 pm »
It wasn't on any service. I have IHeart Radio and have synced Echo with that, but I know that song is not on IHeart. So it pulled it from somewhere at one point. Now it doesn't. That's whats frustrating. I have Pandora too and it's not on there either. But it played that song the first week I had it. The thing has gotten worse over time....not playing the entire song, not recognizing simple commands, etc.

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2017, 04:58:08 pm »
It wasn't on any service. I have IHeart Radio and have synced Echo with that, but I know that song is not on IHeart. So it pulled it from somewhere at one point. Now it doesn't. That's whats frustrating. I have Pandora too and it's not on there either. But it played that song the first week I had it. The thing has gotten worse over time....not playing the entire song, not recognizing simple commands, etc.

it has to be on some service in order for it to play.  there is also amazon music and spotify.   how are we supposed to be able to help if you do not know what service you are trying to play it through.  the only thing I can say is try both services name to see which one the full song was playing through.  you can also check which service the full song is on by going online and search for it in the service. 

Alpha Bitch

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2017, 09:46:11 pm »
Did you check TuneIn?

mike27oct

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2017, 10:46:47 pm »
I just asked one of my Dots to play "I had a little turtle"; it did, completely, and with no issues. 
First, you have to know where it is located, and although I am no rocket scientist, I presumed it is in their Prime kids music section, so I said to the Dot, Alexa, play from Prime Kids music, I had a little turtle.  And, it took off.  So say exactly what I said in same order and you will have success (you can even leave out the word Prime).

As a newbie, you really need to spend time at the Amazon Help section at the top of their main page as there is a whole section about the devices and how they work.

blackbeagle

« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2017, 02:23:13 pm »
When I first hooked it up, I didn't tie it to any music service. I don't think I did anyways. My wire was messing with is as well. So, out of the box, you guys are saying there's no way it could play that song correct? I had to tie it to a service or it wouldn't be able to play that song. Is that correct?

But the fact remains, it did play the full song and it's not now. I've since added Pandora. But it does no good. The full song doesn't play.

mike27oct

« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2017, 03:38:51 pm »
Hey, did you read my above message?  I told you how to play the tune in its entirety  -- did you even try it?
Case closed.