Echo & Alexa Forums

Senior moment

jc_150

Senior moment
« on: April 03, 2017, 06:38:19 am »
Hi all
I have trawled the boards and net for an answer but only find conflicting answers. I have bought and set up two echo dots, 1 upstairs and 1 downstairs. I have subscribed to unlimited music for echo dot. I seem to think that I can only link this subscription to a single echo dot. I am currently still on the free trial for a few more days before it goes over to pay account. How do I link my music for echo dot to a single echo dot device or will my account work on both devices. They are both registered to my Amazon account.
Thanks for any insight into this
John

Re: Senior moment
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2017, 07:41:37 am »
You only need one account, but your music will only play on one dot at a time.

If you want the same music on both for any reason, you are out of luck. It will only play on one at a time, unless you have 2 Amazon accounts and the music will be different on each with separate accounts.

There are a couple of oddities I've seen people express issues with, such as asking for music when near one dot, and the music plays from the other dot...

Evidently you need to be a millionaire to get full home music coverage with the Amazon systems, by purchasing a house full of Sonos Branded home audio speaker systems...
2 Echo Dots 2nd gen
2 echo dots gen 3 (no clock) -2 Echo Dot 3rd gen with Clock
1 echo dot Gen 4 with clock
1 Echo Spot
4 10" Fire Tablets
1 15' Echo show
23 Hue Lights 1 Hue bridge - 1 Amazon Smart plug outlet
One Ring Doorbell Pro
4 cell phones with Alexa app installed!
You should see My Apple Device List!

jc_150

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2017, 08:30:24 am »
Hi Scottrods
Thanks for an informative reply. I will only need to play my music on one device at a time. I am very happy that that is the case. I wrongly thought it would only play on a chosen registered device only, and never on the other one.
Thanks for clearing this up for me.
Regards
John

jim1590

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2017, 08:52:33 am »
My understanding is that the subscription is linked to only ONE echo, being the one you initially set it up on.

With Amazon Music Unlimited for Echo subscription, you have access to tens of millions songs from Amazon Music on one Echo Devices.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=202086680

CChamp

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2017, 10:37:30 am »
It is true that you cannot play the same tracks on multiple dots at the same time. In other words you cannot play the song "Careless Whisper" on both of your dots at the same time and have them be in sync, but you can play different music on the multiple dots at the same time. I have 5 dots throughout my house and they will all play music at the same time. i.e. Rock in one bedroom, Country in the other, Gospel in kitchen and my favorite Metal in the workshop. :)  All of them connected to the same Amazon Premium account.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2017, 10:39:51 am by CChamp »

jim1590

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2017, 11:01:04 am »
It is true that you cannot play the same tracks on multiple dots at the same time. In other words you cannot play the song "Careless Whisper" on both of your dots at the same time and have them be in sync, but you can play different music on the multiple dots at the same time. I have 5 dots throughout my house and they will all play music at the same time. i.e. Rock in one bedroom, Country in the other, Gospel in kitchen and my favorite Metal in the workshop. :)  All of them connected to the same Amazon Premium account.

Right, but are they all pulling from the Unlimited library at the same time? You might be pulling mostly from the basic Prime library.

It would be interesting to find 5 songs that are only in the Unlimited library and play 1 each on each dot to see if you can.

I myself do not subscribe to extra music content because I just ask it to play a genre without caring whats missing.

CChamp

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2017, 11:20:55 am »
They should be because that is the account that I am logged into on all of the Dots is my Unlimited account. I have several playlists in that account that I have made and I have been able to play different playlists on different Dots at the same time.

CChamp

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2017, 12:02:07 pm »
Here is a test you can try to see if both your Dots are coming from your premium account. Tell Alexa to play "Freedom for The Stallion By The Hues Corporation". I know for a fact that this song is not in the basic music package, only in the premium one. I just told 3 of my Dots to play it and they all did (Not in sync, but all playing the same song).

Important: You have to tell Alexa to play "Freedom for The Stallion By The Hues Corporation". Exactly like that as there are other songs and albums by that same name.

mike27oct

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2017, 01:52:39 pm »
Alexa devices only play unlimited music from a single device, unless you buy the most pricey unlimited stream service ($9.99/mo), then it can play on all the alexa devices.

jc_150

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2017, 06:18:58 am »
Hi all,
Thanks for all the replies. Amazon tell me that my £3.99 subscription is dedicated to one device which I set up initially. Luckily it is the one that I want the music on. They did say that they could change the subscription over onto the other one if I wished via customer services. So the definitive answer is that the £3.99 subscription for music unlimited for Echo is tied to the device that one asked to be activated with the subscription, but could be transferred to a different one on request.
Kind Regards
John