Echo & Alexa Forums

Echo activating on strange key words....

FlatBattery

Echo activating on strange key words....
« on: January 08, 2017, 05:39:13 am »
I was sitting watching a recorded episode of "Foyles War" (for those of you not familiar with UK Television, this is a detective drama set in the UK during WWII ) when one of the actors said "Heil Hitler" as part of the script and alexa woke up! Rewound it several times and alexa triggered every time, but my voice wouldn't do it.

Notwithstanding the slightly creepy connotations of this event, has anyone else had alexa react to spurious phrases, either thier own voice or a recorded voice? Just curious.

strayfish

Re: Echo activating on strange key words....
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2017, 06:13:21 am »
All the time - 'Electric fences' got it going once, and a cough triggers the one called Echo! Most bizarre was something that caused it to say, out of the blue, 'I don't have any money'. I don't know whether it had been taken hostage or it thought I had!

mike27oct

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2017, 02:47:08 pm »
As I wrote in another thread, there has been a noticeable increase in these sort of events it seems since the intro of near-field firmware and release of new gen2 Dots. With an Echo and 4 Dots installed here, at least once a day any one of these can blurt out nonsense due to normal conversations, coughs, etc.

mindmagic

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2017, 08:57:04 am »
Mine often wakes up to "Brexit".

strayfish

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2017, 09:08:13 am »
Mine often wakes up to "Brexit".

That may be just the nightmares :)

coyote

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2017, 05:50:19 pm »
Mine activated on STAR TREK II yesterday. "Milk, James T" showed up on my shopping list lol