Echo & Alexa Forums

Amazon echo integration with social location apps

ant

Amazon echo integration with social location apps
« on: July 21, 2015, 07:26:54 am »
Do you think the Echo would be a good add on to an app like Yelp or Foursquare? Basically a social location app of some sort where you can ask where your friend is or where a particular bar or restaurant is etc.

Any suggestions on cool ways to integrate them or general feedback would be great!

ScarlettPhoenix

Re: Amazon echo integration with social location apps
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2015, 07:01:18 pm »
Yelp and Foursquare are wonderful because of their portability. For all intents and purposes, the Echo really isn't. If you're carrying Alexa around with you, that's awesome but I think that Yelp and Foursquare are accessed on the fly, not so much from somewhere stationary.  Maybe that's just me.  I would like the Yelp integration because I could ask for the ratings of the restaurants before I made reservations.

George Jetson

Re: Amazon echo integration with social location apps
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2015, 07:48:07 pm »
Yelp and Foursquare are wonderful because of their portability. For all intents and purposes, the Echo really isn't. If you're carrying Alexa around with you, that's awesome but I think that Yelp and Foursquare are accessed on the fly, not so much from somewhere stationary.  Maybe that's just me.  I would like the Yelp integration because I could ask for the ratings of the restaurants before I made reservations.

I'm in agreement with Scarlett.  Echo is home based.  Yelp would be nice to integrate.   Based on Google, "Near Me" Searches have doubled this year alone. http://searchengineland.com/google-says-near-me-searches-have-doubled-this-year-221771  It would be nice to ask Alexa "Alexa, What Restaurants are near me?"  I would expect the Name of the restaurant, Address, City, State and Phone Number along with some sort of rating.  Yahoo has a nice "Local" site... https://local.yahoo.com/ I am sure that Google has the same.  Thanks for asking the question! :)