Echo & Alexa User Discussions and Support Forums

When a person is not breathing, permanent brain damage begins after 4 minutes and death in 6 minutes after that. Can you count on help arriving before that time? Learning proper CPR techniques is easy and you can learn it in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.

echo firmware

echo firmware
« on: July 20, 2015, 10:07:11 pm »
Has anyone been able to capture the firmware image of an Echo? As a reverse engineer this would be a gold mine of information.

Re: echo firmware
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2015, 03:09:30 pm »
I am doing an IoT research project/series. I first worked on the WeMo line of devices and had a good deal of success in reverse-engineering and exploiting the devices. The echo was a natural next step. If I can get a copy of the firmware I will let you know! PM me a reminder for a status update if you see this.

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2016, 01:18:10 pm »
Any update? It looks like your inbox is full.

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2016, 08:49:24 pm »
Yep! Sorry about that. Cleared my inbox. Annoying feature of the site honestly. Shoot me a PM with your email and I'll get you on the Slack channel for echo hacking. There are about 10 or so like-minded people on there all helping each other out on this project.

Long story short we were able to build a partial file system using an update manifest that we got from a packet capture I took.

Check back tomorrow and I'll make a post about it on this forum.

Offline Yoda_One

• Being a live beats the alternative.
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2016, 12:37:50 pm »
Amazon Echo and Echo Dot can now connect to mobile Wi-Fi hotspots
Posted on June 29, 2016
amazon-echo-dot-with-echo-front-forward

The Amazon Echo or Echo Dot have been unable to connect directly to mobile Wi-Fi hotspots unless a second device was available to facilitate the connection. This is because, to connect an Echo or Echo Dot to a Wi-Fi network, you must transfer those network settings to the Echo or Echo Dot via a temporary Wi-Fi connection. If all you have is a phone that is itself the source of the Wi-Fi network/hotspot you want the Echo or Echo Dot to connect to, then you canít both connect to the Echo or Echo Dotís temporary Wi-Fi connection while also keeping the hotspot connection active. This is why, up until now, youíve needed a second device to configure the Echo or Echo Dotís Wi-Fi settings while the phone is emitting a Wi-Fi hotspot. A new Echo and Echo Dot software update, version 3389, has resolved this limitation and now allows the Echo and Echo Dot to connect to a mobile Wi-Fi hotspot.
Learning to laugh at oneself and with others is good for your soul.

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2016, 04:04:41 pm »
Except I have done this before, you just needed an extra device. I connected to my phones hotspot and used my iPad to make the connection.

To say that is "can now connect" is misleading.

Offline Yoda_One

• Being a live beats the alternative.
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2016, 07:12:22 pm »
Your statement is prior to the latest update by Amazon as per the article it is now native.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2016, 07:20:28 pm by Yoda_One »
Learning to laugh at oneself and with others is good for your soul.