Get CPR certified in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.
Echo & Alexa Forums

How secure is Amazon Echo?

daldude

How secure is Amazon Echo?
« on: January 02, 2017, 06:49:01 pm »
How Secure is Amazon Echo Dot? When I first got mine it showed up as a WIFI device connection when I scanned for WIFI devices on my Phone and I was able to connect to it with my phone but got a no internet connection error and this was before I got it set up. Now that it is setup could someone connect to it and hack my Amazon Account information or my PC since it had no password for it's WIFI connection and is connected to my Router? Right now since it's connected to my router it no longer shows up as a WIFI device but if it did somehow disconnect from my router could someone hack into it and steal my personal info. Does the Echo Dot it's self contain any of my personal info purchase history or account info?
« Last Edit: January 02, 2017, 10:16:49 pm by daldude »

Alpha Bitch

Re: How secure is Amaazon Echo?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2017, 08:00:37 pm »
if it did somehow disconnect from my router could someone hack into it and steal my personal info.
[/b]
I cannot answer your question which you put in the form of a sentence.  That being said, the Echo has been out much longer than the DOT.  It was released 2014.  To date, I have not read in my local newspaper nor heard on my local news or the national news that the Echo has ever been hacked. 
I think you be assured that you will not be hacked using the DOT.

Does the Echo Dot it's self contain any of my personal info purchase history or account info?
If you are that concerned about your personal info, you will need to get answers directly from the horses mouth.  Call DOT CS - 1-877-375-9365.

StevenR

Re: How secure is Amazon Echo?
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2017, 01:28:41 pm »
The open WiFi hotspot on the Echo and Echo Dot is only enabled when it is in setup mode and is required to allow it to be configured via the Alexa app until you have it connected to a router. Once it has been setup and is connected to your router, it will no longer be accessible in that way (if you look on your phone it should no longer even show as a WiFi hotspot) and so nobody should be able to use it to access your router or PC. It will only be enabled again if you need to put it back into setup mode (by holding down the action button on the top of the Echo / Echo Dot).