Echo & Alexa Forums

Best router?

eric286

Best router?
« on: January 02, 2017, 08:18:11 am »
I'm having connection issues with my dot in the back of the house.  Thinking about trying a better router and I'm looking for recommendations on which router to buy and whether to set it up on 2 or 5ghz channel.

mike27oct

Re: Best router?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2017, 04:36:28 pm »
It is best to set up Alexa devices on 2.4G for a few reasons:

-- Better range (which is a problem for you now)
-- It is an audio device with low bandwidth requirements, so 5G is overkill and with shorter range
-- Reserve 5G for high bandwidth requirements like streaming video devices
If still having range issues consider getting a range extender

There is no such thing as a "best router" as there are many excellent routers today, and reviews can help you find one.  Maybe you do not need a new router; maybe your home could use a range extender, or better router placement in a central location, or more than bottom line ISP bandwidth, or adjustments to settings.  Who knows.  There are lots of things to consider.

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2017, 06:29:55 pm »
you may need an extender, not a better router.  signals only go so far,  what is the router model you currently have?

celticfan1888

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2017, 02:29:15 am »
Net gear orbi may solve any range issues you may have better than extender its a mesh network

mike27oct

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2017, 03:48:44 am »
The Orbi appears to be a good router, but frankly, most people do not need a $400 router.  The Orbi comes with a Satellite unit, which for all intents and purposes appears to be a fancy-schmancy Range Extender.

Try a range extender first to boost a router with weak signals at the fringes of a house..  Most router issues are caused by issues mentioned above.  I am sure an Orbi could give lousy results as well as any other router if it is not set up properly.