Echo & Alexa Forums

wire mess

wire mess
« on: December 31, 2016, 06:41:44 pm »
I am a cord cutter so I have a computer hooked up to my tv.  In addition there is a router and a home theater on the same tv stand.   Today I decided to do a bit of cleaning behind the tv since it was a wiring mess.  And it was a mess, when I was finished, I found the following excess.

1.  two surge protectors
2.  10 port usb hub
3.  web cam
3.  two usb extension cables
4.  vga monitor cable
5.  audio cable
6.  one power cable to who knows what
7.  usb cable
8.  rca cable
9.   a lot of dust and dead crickets...(yep, I need to clean more often)

while I was at it, I decided to exchange the router from netgear n600 to netgear nighthawk ac1900.   was worried because of all the hubs, bulbs and the echo/dots that connected and was not sure how big of a problem it was going to be.  Turned out it was not that big of a deal when I used the same ssid name and passwords.    only had one echo where I had to reset the network. 

I was thinking about tackling the wires under my computer desk.  There i have two computer, printers, different usb hubs, external harddrives and more.  But after looking at it,I decided, I can live with the way it is for another year - as long as I don't electrocute myself.  Maybe I don't need to use the desk computer barefooted  :-)

anyway thought I would waste your time by sharing my mess  :-)

mike27oct

Re: wire mess
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2016, 07:44:10 pm »
Wow, thanks for sharing your New Year resolution with us!   ;)

Your new router is more elaborate than previous one.  To get the most from it, be sure it is set to operate on N only.  I did that a few years ago since all non-N devices are retired now, and operating without sevicing G routers etc speeds up the router, and all new routers out of the box are set for all bands to eliminate issues for people (at the cost of lower speed for N devices)  Also, be sure security is set up for WPA2 personal and AES.