Echo & Alexa Forums

court order for amazon echo logs

court order for amazon echo logs
« on: December 27, 2016, 03:43:48 pm »
ran across the following article about the police in a Arkansas town, well read the first paragraph of the article

Amazon's Echo devices and its virtual assistant are meant to help find answers by listening for your voice commands. However, police in Arkansas want to know if one of the gadgets overheard something that can help with a murder case. According to The Information, authorities in Bentonville issued a warrant for Amazon to hand over any audio or records from an Echo belonging to James Andrew Bates. Bates is set to go to trial for first-degree murder for the death of Victor Collins next year.

https://www.engadget.com/2016/12/27/amazon-echo-audio-data-murder-case/

might be an interesting case to follow to see what amazon really collects when the echo is supposed to be listening for the wakeup word.    That is if the authorities push a bit more than they done so far.

mike27oct

Re: court order for amazon echo logs
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2016, 03:51:07 pm »
Arkansas?  The tech capital of the Midwest?  Yea, it will be interesting, but the likelihood of finding anything substantive is close to slim and none.  If Amazon is smart, they don't keep the data forever, even if there is hidden chatter in there.

DParker

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2016, 04:49:49 pm »
"Police say they were able to pull data off of the speaker, but it's unclear what info they were able to access."

In terms of data actually relevant to their investigation I'd guess what they got from the Echo itself fell somewhere in between diddly and squat.

Offline jwlv

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2016, 05:01:30 pm »
Sounds like an attempt to get in the headlines.

mike27oct

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2016, 05:17:34 pm »
Also sounds like some pretty computer illiterate cops and lawyers grabbing at straws to me.  This includes the judge for not throwing the request out, too.

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2016, 06:09:26 pm »
Arkansas?  The tech capital of the Midwest?  Yea, it will be interesting, but the likelihood of finding anything substantive is close to slim and none.  If Amazon is smart, they don't keep the data forever, even if there is hidden chatter in there.

It is Bentonville and that is the headquarters of Walmart so it could be the tech capital of Arkansas  :-)  Walmart has a lot of computers and tech that supports their stores world wide in that town. 

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2016, 06:12:06 pm »
Also sounds like some pretty computer illiterate cops and lawyers grabbing at straws to me.  This includes the judge for not throwing the request out, too.

grabbing at straws yes but who know...lately there has been so many articles about what the echo and google home collects, it could put some minds at ease when they find there is nothing to be found. 

mike27oct

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2016, 03:23:37 am »
yea, agree; lots of people think Alexa can do most everything.  Some of those people come here to ask "can it do such and such?" (Or. why can't it do . . . . .)

strayfish

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2016, 05:05:00 am »
It records brief snatches of voice when it doesn't recognise a command. Reviewing those, I can hear my own voice and clips from radio or TV programmes. Very brief, but if an offender were to be unlucky enough to trigger a device then say something it didn't recognise as a command, that voice would be on record.

Alpha Bitch

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2016, 09:32:52 pm »

grabbing at straws yes but who know...lately there has been so many articles about what the echo and google home collects, it could put some minds at ease when they find there is nothing to be found.
If you go into your Alexa app Settings>History  you will see every recording you have made if you have not deleted them.
I have the DOT which I purchased on 12/9/16.  My recordings are the full recordings up until todays date (12/28/16).  I plan on deleting all before the year is out.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2016, 09:35:03 pm by Alpha Bitch »

mike27oct

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2016, 09:45:54 pm »
Most of us know that; I think the lawyers believe it records even if there is no wake word spoken, basically EVERYTHING; even non-echo conversations.  Not true, it only records when spoken to.

strayfish

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2016, 04:31:17 am »
If 'most of us know that' I'd assume that includes lawyers. They'd hardly disregard the possibility of finding a snatch of aural DNA when they'll spend a good hour debating the meaning of one word. Yep - been there :)

« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2016, 06:16:22 am »

If you go into your Alexa app Settings>History  you will see every recording you have made if you have not deleted them.
I have the DOT which I purchased on 12/9/16.  My recordings are the full recordings up until todays date (12/28/16).  I plan on deleting all before the year is out.

you missed the point.  the authorities were also looking for additional recordings that alexa might be making when the wakeup word is not used.   if you scan through this forum, you will find the alexa has scared the dickens out of some members when out of the blue it starts talking or playing music.  When that happens usually nothing is found in the logs. 

in addition there has been recent articles written by so called privacy advocates that says the echo could be listening and recording even when its not awaken by the user.  That was the purpose of my comments that you quoted and highlighted. 

« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2016, 06:19:23 am »
Most of us know that; I think the lawyers believe it records even if there is no wake word spoken, basically EVERYTHING; even non-echo conversations.  Not true, it only records when spoken to.

so true, but people is so paranoid these days they believe almost anything. 

mike27oct

« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2016, 02:24:36 pm »
>>>  If 'most of us know that' I'd assume that includes lawyers.

No, it doesn't, it only includes "us". i.e. most members of this forum.