Echo & Alexa Forums

Forget pulling out your Calculator

RocketEcho

Forget pulling out your Calculator
« on: June 14, 2015, 11:50:36 am »
This may have already been posted. I use my Echo for a lot of the most common inquiries... but the one I find most usefull is it's math/calculator ability.

Alexa, what is 6.5 times 134?

Alexa, what is 18,400 divided by 230?

Alexa, what is the square root of 500?

There is a limit... I am not certain of the integer size, but if the number is too large she doesnt answer... Sorry I dont know.  Like asking what is 42 Million times 364 thousand,,, etc.

Also, Alexa can only use two numbers. So you cant ask her what four plus six minus 2 is. (No algebra).

But when I'm working it's a lot faster than hitting the calculator for something basic- and Alexa has recently (perhaps a auto firmware update) - become much faster. You dont even need to skip a beat after Alexa... just carry on, and she will hear it. Don't bother waiting for the light ring. Just say it like you would to a human:

Alexa what's the weather? No pause is necessary anymore.

Rocket

ScarlettPhoenix

Re: Forget pulling out your Calculator
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2015, 12:12:18 pm »
That is so awesome. Especially for someone like me who is mathematically challenged.
Now, if only she would pay my bills... ;)

alot2do

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2015, 01:05:17 am »
I haven't figured out how to get her to subtract numbers. Any ideas?  I think the way I am possibly wording subtraction problems is the hang up.

Offline jwlv

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2015, 02:08:53 am »
For subtraction, I just say something like, "Alexa, what is 15 minus 10?"

RocketEcho

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2015, 09:26:42 am »
This has become one of the features I use most. Faster than pulling out my calculator or fingerprinting into my iphone, and bringing up the Calculator Ap.

For complex math, no.... but basics. Its awesome.

Alexa is also great for spelling-- Alexa, how do you spell " "

:)