Echo & Alexa Forums

New Dot does not recognize our Amazon Prime music.

DennisT

New Dot does not recognize our Amazon Prime music.
« on: December 26, 2016, 10:53:01 pm »
Got full size Echo for Xmas.  Got Echo Dot next day.  Echo set up and works fine, (we have Amazon Prime).  First thing my wife did was ask it for a song, which she immediately got.
Set up Echo Dot and when asked for a song it just says it can't find it and offers, "help."  Accepting help merely finds the Dot telling us we can pay/surscribe to Amazon music. 
How do I get this second Echo, (the Dot), to connect with our Amazon Prime music?
Thanks, Dennis :(

DParker

Re: New Dot does not recognize our Amazon Prime music.
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2016, 11:39:45 pm »
Are you certain that the Dot is associated with the same Amazon account as your Echo?

DennisT

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2016, 12:23:49 am »

We're on an Amazon family account.  That allows us to,"order," things separately, but Kindle, books, etc., all show up in all devices.  When I pull up Settings >Devices on any device, all our units show up. 
Yes, it would seem there is a mis-match somewhere but I can't figure out how to find it.
Dennis

BuddhaGirl

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2016, 04:35:37 pm »
Hi, I'm having same problem. Just bought 1 Echo and 2 Dots Dec 2016. We have the free Prime Music but haven't purchased any other music systems (like Unlimited or Pandora..). The Echo works perfectly to play any artist's music I ask for. Both Dots say, "I can't find music by (that artist)". I have spent a couple hours with Amazon tech support and they have not helped. I have unplugged and then re-connected both Dots several times. I have gone into Alexa app and made sure default music was Amazon Prime on all three devices. Still doesn't work.
Would be so happy if someone can solve this. Otherwise, I will wait to hear back from yet another Amazon tech person and then just have them send me two new Dots.

DennisT

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2016, 11:09:04 am »
Buddhagirl:
Thanks for your post; at least we no longer feel alone in this.  We have made no progress either.  One thing I wonder about:  my wife and I are on a, "family," arrangement with our Amazon account.  Her various merchandise orders she does independent from me.  I look up my amazon account and it does not show her orders...just mine.  But we each receive free shipping/Prime benefits.  She purchased an Echo, (not a Dot), for me for Xmas.  I purchased the Dot for her for Xmas.  The Echo I set up via my iPhone, downloading the app.  She set up her Dot with her iPhone, downloading the app.  I am able to ask the Echo for specific songs and it does it fine.  I wonder if, somehow, the Dot thinks it is not on our main account and therefore does not see Amazon Prime music.  Any specific song request made to the Dot just brings the reply, "I can't find that song."  If we just ask, "play music," it promptly pulls up songs from the playlist already in my wife's iPhone. 
There is a mis-match here somewhere.  We probably have the same issue.  We have not called Amazon yet.  Expect to have to do that buy not sure how well we'll do with them.  Never had to call before.
Good luck to both of us.
Dennis

DennisT

Re: New Dot does not recognize our Amazon Prime music. SOLVED
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2017, 06:05:00 pm »
With help from Amazon Echo Support, this is now fixed.  Problem was wife and I each set up our two echos using 2 different email addresses. 
See my somewhat newer post, "How do I tell our Echo Dot......"
Happy New Year, Dennis

jazzercise

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2017, 02:46:47 am »
Ah. Found this on the website... :s

You can listen to Prime Music on:

Fire Phone
    Fire Tablets
    Amazon Fire TV
    Fire TV Stick
    Amazon Echo
    iOS devices
    Android smartphones and tablets (v. 4.0 and above)
    HEOS devices
    Play-Fi devices
    Sonos devices
    Bose SoundTouch systems
    PC & Mac
    Amazon website

Note: To access Prime Music, you must have an Amazon.com account, a U.S. billing address, and a payment method issued by a U.S. bank. Prime Music is not included during the free trial period of Amazon Student memberships, or for invited household members on a shared Prime account.

navaro75

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2017, 06:53:53 pm »
I experienced this but then I figured out the problem was that I had made some playlists on Amazon on an account that wasn't connected to the Echo.  So when I went to listen to them, they weren't there.