Echo & Alexa Forums

Hue scenes ain't working

coyote

Hue scenes ain't working
« on: December 25, 2016, 01:23:11 pm »
Got Hue as an Xmas gift. One hub, one bulb.

It ain't working with Alexa. The bulb can be turned on/off or dimmed as part of an Alexa group.... but the scenes will not trigger. I keep getting errors, and they vary from "i did not understand..." to "that command does not work on device " to it making an cceotnce noise, but not doing anything.

VERY disappointing to say the least. This should be seamless. They are two major HA products, and should not have this difficulty.

DParker

Re: Hue scenes ain't working
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2016, 01:47:17 pm »

It ain't working with Alexa. The bulb can be turned on/off or dimmed as part of an Alexa group.... but the scenes will not trigger. I keep getting errors, and they vary from "i did not understand..." to "that command does not work on device " to it making an cceotnce noise, but not doing anything.

A what?

VERY disappointing to say the least. This should be seamless. They are two major HA products, and should not have this difficulty.

They generally don't.  I've set up multiple Echo + Hue integrations and they've been simple and worked flawlessly.  What "scene" are you trying to trigger, and what command are you using?

coyote

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2016, 02:50:01 pm »

A what?

They generally don't.  I've set up multiple Echo + Hue integrations and they've been simple and worked flawlessly.  What "scene" are you trying to trigger, and what command are you using?
An 'acceptance' noise, the noise echo makes when it accepts your command. Can't believe spellcheck didn't catch that lol

As for the scenes, when I integrated  the Hue with Alexa it found about 15 'stock' scenes. When I try to activate them, they just don't work. I've tried a number of ways of saying them. For example. One scene is "arctic aurora". If I say "alexa, turn on arctic aurora in wine bar" it replies "that command does not work in Room wine bar". Or it says "sorry, I didn't understand the question I heard"... it's not saying that for any other things I do, and I have a lot of smart home happening. Alexa groups, SmartThings virtual switches for routines, all working. Except Hue, even though I'm following the syntax they specify.

EDIT: to be more specific, if I include Hue lights in Alexa groups that works fine. "Alexa, turn on bar 50%" turns on two Cree lights plus the Hue bulb, which are all in the same fixture, at 50%. Or if I specify "alexa, turn off Hue color lamp 1" it does that with no issue. It's just the Hue scenes that won't trigger.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2016, 02:54:24 pm by coyote »

coyote

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2016, 03:04:34 pm »
Followup: it took more than a dozen tries at deleting the Hue routines and then re-adding them before Alexa finally started responding to Hue scenes. But it's finally happening. :)

smgraz

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2016, 07:31:37 pm »
I'm having the same issues with my Hue - The Echo will not change scenes.  It will turn on the lights, dim the lights and turn off the lights. But will not change the colors or scenes.  I've tried lots of different commands.  Sometimes Alexa says OK - but nothing happens.  Sometimes I get one of several different error responses.   Sometimes Alexa says nothing and nothing happens.   

Could you add some detail to how you fixed this issue?  Does anyone else know how to resolve this issue?

Thank you.

mindmagic

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2016, 04:33:33 am »
The Echo won't change scenes or colours on its own. You need either the Hue Skill, which is pretty rubbish, or you can create applets with IFTTT.

coyote

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2017, 08:44:29 pm »
I'm having the same issues with my Hue - The Echo will not change scenes.  It will turn on the lights, dim the lights and turn off the lights. But will not change the colors or scenes.  I've tried lots of different commands.  Sometimes Alexa says OK - but nothing happens.  Sometimes I get one of several different error responses.   Sometimes Alexa says nothing and nothing happens.   

Could you add some detail to how you fixed this issue?  Does anyone else know how to resolve this issue?

Thank you.
I fixed it by going through the process again and again and again lol

The color loop does not play reliably, but does work occasionally. A few of the stock scenes play well, as do the scenes I created.