Echo & Alexa Forums

Excessive Bandwidth Usage

Maston

Excessive Bandwidth Usage
« on: December 24, 2016, 08:34:30 pm »
Hi all!

Hopefully someone can help me with this.

I recently moved and only have cellular internet now. According to my firewall (Meraki MX) my Echo is using 1-1.5 Gbps per day. This is even on days when we do no streaming (as in out of house all day).
Previously we were on cable and didn't pay any attention.
Anyone else seeing excess data usage? Any tips on reducing? I've disabled all apps and can't really figure anything else.

eta - the destination URL for this traffic is amzdigitaldownloads.edgesuite.net.
Thanks!
« Last Edit: December 24, 2016, 08:38:20 pm by Maston »

DParker

Re: Excessive Bandwidth Usage
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2016, 09:06:12 pm »
Hi all!

Hopefully someone can help me with this.

I recently moved and only have cellular internet now. According to my firewall (Meraki MX) my Echo is using 1-1.5 Gbps per day.

Do you mean 1-1.5 GB / day?  Gbps is a measure of data transfer speed (gigabits per second), not volume.

This is even on days when we do no streaming (as in out of house all day).
Previously we were on cable and didn't pay any attention.
Anyone else seeing excess data usage? Any tips on reducing? I've disabled all apps and can't really figure anything else.

eta - the destination URL for this traffic is amzdigitaldownloads.edgesuite.net.
Thanks!

That URL is regularly accessed by Echo devices to check for available software updates, but the amount of data exchanged in doing so should be tiny.

BTW, do you have a Fire TV/Stick?  The URL you cite is accessed by those devices as well.

Maston

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2016, 09:17:44 pm »
DParker - thanks much for the reply.
Sorry for the typo meant 1-1.5GB per day. This is specific to a single Echo. No other Amazon devices and my firewall gives per device usage.
In the last two hours, while supposedly sleeping, the Echo has used 1.12MB of bandwidth. That's as granular as I can get with usage.
If this is uncommon I'll probably ping Amazon about replacing.

DParker

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2016, 09:51:51 pm »
Then yes, I'd definitely contact Amazon support about it.

Maston

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2016, 02:52:50 pm »
After spending a bit of time on the phone with support it looks like the echo is stuck trying to update software.
Did a couple of factory resets, moved it outside the firewall, and tried a forced upgrade - no luck.
They are going to replace it.
Thanks for the replies.