Echo & Alexa Forums

My echo won't connect to my Phillips hue bridge

Bcmg82

My echo won't connect to my Phillips hue bridge
« on: July 14, 2015, 05:35:34 pm »
I'm unable to connect my echo to my Phillips bridge. I have the starter kit model number 431643. Which is three bulbs and the bridge. The bridge is one foot away from my att uverse 2.4ghz single band router. Made by pace not 2 wire. The echo is about 14 feet from the router and bridge. Both units work fine individually. Both connected to the same Wi-Fi network. I'm running the most current update on the Phillips app. My router doesn't support the ssdp or upnp protocols. Or ar I can't find then in the router settings.

I've verified that the Phillips model is a supported model.I've tried powercycling both units, moving the echo closer, verbal command to discover devices and manual via the app. I've pressed the button before during and after the learn mode step. I've deleted and reinstalled the apps for both hue and echo.

I followed all the troubleshooting steps listed from Amazon and called the tier 1 tech support. They have to get it over to the developers I guess. I can't get the thing learned in.
Any suggestions are welcome. And thank you in advance for your time.

Flyhi

Re: My echo won't connect to my Phillips hue bridge
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2015, 12:36:40 pm »
I am having the same problem with trying to connect my Hue bridge to the Echo.  I have also tried tried the recommended trouble shooting for the device and spoke to the help desk today, to no avail.  My impression of the help desk person I spoke with is that she did not know her own product very well, in addition to not knowing very much about the Hue device as well.  I am kinda frustrated, as I have ordered another device and it will arrive today.  I am hoping that I have better success as I await a return phone call from the Amazon's help desk.

Drjjr

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2015, 05:52:44 pm »
Make sure the firmware is updated by the Hue app. I had the same problem and that fixed it. Alexa controls my Hue Lux bulbs and GE Link bulbs using the Hue bridge.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2015, 05:54:43 pm by Drjjr »

Bcmg82

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2015, 10:22:39 pm »
Flyhi,

I feel your pain. I tried two different bridges, I literally bought three starter kits but after the second bridge I decided it wasn't the Philips bridge. And you're right the initial customer service reps aren't very knowledgeable. They are there for the most basic troubleshooting. I'm thinking I might have a bad Echo at this point, I'm still working with them before I say that for sure.

Here's  something I found funny. The rep asked me for the ip address, however there is no MAC ID listed on the device so i was unable to find the IP at first.You need to ask them for the ID first then you can search for the IP LOL.

I'll let you know what I come up with, and please let me know what you find out as well!!

Bcmg82

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2015, 10:26:15 pm »
Drjjr,

Thank you for your comment I appreciate any and all input on the matter.

mikepsych283

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2015, 07:50:08 pm »
dont know if this helps , all devices have to be on 2.4ghz network . I actually out a hundred year old router and plugged that into my comcast router. Not sure if that was the problem but I was able to finally get everything working

Offline jwlv

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2015, 09:03:19 pm »
Mikepsych283 gave some good advice. Echo, Hue, Wemo, and other recent Wifi devices usually operate on 802.11n (aka Wireless N).

Wireless N is backwards compatible with Wireless B and Wireless G. Thus using an old router may work better, but that all depends on what kind of equipment you have.

The newest routers operate on 802.11ac (aka Wireless AC). If you have one of these new routers, make sure that Wireless N is turned on. Wireless AC is not backwards compatible with N, B, or G.  Also, these new routers operate on two frequencies, 2.4GHz and 5.8GHz which can be turned on or off independently. I believe Echo, Hue, Wemo only can use the 2.4GHz frequency. So make sure that is turned on in your router.

With this information, you should check your router and make sure that the 2.4GHz frequency is turned on and using the Wireless N protocol.

Bcmg82

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2015, 09:45:20 pm »
Thank you guys! I'm for sure running on 2.4ghz band. However I will look into enabling the Wireless N protocol. Again thank you guys for all your input, I truly appreciate your time and thoughtful responses.