Echo & Alexa Forums

Multiple Dots in the same room

gmbrickley

Multiple Dots in the same room
« on: December 21, 2016, 02:49:04 pm »
Hello everyone.  I have a Dot hardwired to my Sonos speaker in our loft space.  Alexa has trouble hearing me when I'm at the far end of the room.  To increase coverage can I use a second Dot and hardwire it to a Y adapter at the Sonos input?

mike27oct

Re: Multiple Dots in the same room
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2016, 05:40:17 pm »
Up to three Alexa devices can all be side by side IF each one has a different name.  There are three approved names; Alexa, Echo and Amazon.  You change the names within the app. 
I have an Echo (named Alexa) in living room, about 15 feet away in family room there is a Dot named Echo connected to stereo inputs, and at opposite corner from the first two devices in the dining room/kitchen entry there is another Dot also named Echo, but the two Dots are not confused since the Dot nearest us being spoken to responds and not the other.  All four Dots in the house are named Echo and they all coexist well. 

As for the name Amazon; I would not even give a dog that name!  Amazon has to make more names available; better yet, let users select their own names.

gmbrickley

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2016, 07:52:58 pm »
Mike, my situation is a bit different.  Since I use the Sonos for audio I want to use the Dots as microphones only.  Think of them like mics spread out on stage.  Using the same wake name and ESP (Echo Spatial Perception) I wonder if both dots can feed one input on my Sonos speaker.  That way I can speak to Alexa from different points in our loft and the Dot that hears me first responds.

mike27oct

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2016, 09:33:02 pm »
Your situation is not only different; it's a bit unconventional.  You cannot put two different outputs into one single input with a Y connector. You need some sort of switching mechanism.  These things are not mics, they are Dots, an unless you want to blow one or more up and create howling, etc.  It can't be done.  Unless someone tells it can be, and then you will try it and likely blow things up anyway!

If you want a second Dot to ask it the weather, etc, just set up a second one in the same room, but it cannot control the other.  That is sort of my situation with a Dot feeding a stereo, so I just ask the Echo or other Dot nearby.