Echo & Alexa Forums

Echo losing connection for past week or so [Solved]

nitmd

Echo losing connection for past week or so [Solved]
« on: March 26, 2018, 12:36:20 am »
We have had 3 echo dots running in the house for a couple months, flawlessly.  Last week they all started reporting that they lost their connection.  I've run through troubleshooting, resetting the network, making sure my 2 and 5 Ghz networks have different names, power cycling, making sure my cellular data was off when setting up, and even doing a factory reset and unregistering my devices, then starting anew. One thing I haven't figured out about the factory reset is that once I get the device up and running again, it has the same name it did before.  That somehow sounds like I'm not getting all the way reset. At the same time, the wake word is reset to Alexa.  I am at a loss to solve this problem.  I would appreciate any suggestions.  There is good wifi strength throughout the house.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2018, 05:11:31 pm by nitmd »

mike27oct

Re: Echo losing connection for past week or so
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2018, 12:52:40 am »
Seems to me if I had 3 Dots acting up like yours, I would darn sure know it was not the 3 Dots have a problem.  I would assume my common devices for the three was having indigestion, and cthe router, the modem or the internet into the house.  I would replace one or both of the wi-fi system, or else, if it is a leased internet device I'd get the cable guy out to fix the problem!  The solution is a no brainer.  If you don't own your own router and modem, the cable company internet signal is the smoking gun.

nitmd

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2018, 11:40:16 pm »
Good point.  I'm going to try setting one up at work where there is a wireless I can play with.  Any idea why a factory reset does not erase the device name?  Seemed odd.

mike27oct

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2018, 03:04:01 am »
No good answer for your last question.  I have never reset any of my devices, and at last count there are 8 Dots and an Echo at our house.

How are you resetting the Dots; tell me the steps.

nitmd

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2018, 05:11:07 pm »
We reset by pressing the mute and minus keys at the same time until the light flashes orange.  It reboots and goes into setup.  The 1st generation used to have a reset switch, this doesn't.

As to the original issue, it was the network.  We found out that somehow an ip address conflict had developed (not sure how when everything runs on DHCP, but that's another mystery).  We power cycled through everything and reset the echos again.  So far everything is working fine.

Thank you for getting me out of the box I was thinking in.

Offline tthoben

• Greetings from sunny Singapore!
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2018, 12:35:01 am »
We reset by pressing the mute and minus keys at the same time until the light flashes orange.  It reboots and goes into setup.  The 1st generation used to have a reset switch, this doesn't.

As to the original issue, it was the network.  We found out that somehow an ip address conflict had developed (not sure how when everything runs on DHCP, but that's another mystery).  We power cycled through everything and reset the echos again.  So far everything is working fine.

Thank you for getting me out of the box I was thinking in.

IMHO, it's better to set static ip for your echo devices through your router settings. Even after any power trips or reboots, they retain their assigned ip addresses. If you intend to expand into home automation in future with Alexa this is crucial to ensure everything works as it should.
Echo Dot @ SG

mike27oct

Re: Echo losing connection for past week or so [Solved]
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2018, 04:33:27 pm »
I have never set up static IP, but that is because my Asus router creates a permanent and unique IP for every device based upon an algorithm of the MAC address, automatically, so all IPs are "static".

It is a good idea to reboot modems and routers monthly just to clear them out often,

Offline tthoben

• Greetings from sunny Singapore!
Re: Echo losing connection for past week or so [Solved]
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2018, 09:16:20 pm »
I have never set up static IP, but that is because my Asus router creates a permanent and unique IP for every device based upon an algorithm of the MAC address, automatically, so all IPs are "static".

It is a good idea to reboot modems and routers monthly just to clear them out often,

I reboot by my linksys router once every 3 days. Previously I've had problems with wifi speeds, dropped connections etc. which all went away with regular reboots.
Echo Dot @ SG