Echo & Alexa Forums

Dot connected and drops out - now will not connect

noeffort

Dot connected and drops out - now will not connect
« on: December 18, 2016, 07:57:08 pm »
Spent over 6 hours trying to get my dot to connect.  Called tech support, they said my Frontier Netgear dsl modem not compatible.  I have tablets, laptops and phones connecting without any issues.  Waste of my time, returning echo dot.

mike27oct

Re: Dot connected and drops out - now will not connect
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2016, 10:39:14 pm »
Unfortunately, there are too many tech support people (at any company) who are clueless0 seems you found one at Amazon.

If the Dot is on, unplug it for 5 minutes, then plug it back in.  After it turns on do you have spinning blue lights and does it now work?  (Try asking it what time is it?)

Many times it is operator error.  For example, today during setup a new user kept looking for the Amazon_XXX wi-fi signal when they did not understand they were to look for a unique signal called Amazon_K4W the signal that was the signal they were seeing.  (The XXX are just variables which represent the actual signal coming from their unique Dot.)

Re: Dot connected and drops out - now will not connect
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2016, 04:34:02 am »
if the above suggestion does not work, then try unplug the power from both the router and modem  (if you have both) for a slow 10 count.  plug in the modem and wait for it to turn on completely, once all the proper lights are on,  plug in the router wait for it to completely come on.    Sometimes, even though all your other devices are working,  you got to give it a reason to do a (using echos terminology) discovery. 

if that does not help either, how far is the echo from your modum/router?  any new wireless devices lately?