Echo & Alexa Forums

2 Echos and 1 Bluetooth receiver: who pervails

LarrC

2 Echos and 1 Bluetooth receiver: who pervails
« on: December 17, 2016, 04:53:05 pm »
New here, and to Alexa.   I have a whole home sound system with inputs in each room, but each room is a separate channel. I can hard wire an Echo to any one of the room's inputs.  I'd like to be able to control a common music stream from either of two Echos located in different rooms.  To do that I plan to connect each Echo to a common multi-source Bluetooth receiver, then hard wire the BT Rx output to one of the home's input channels.  However,  I cannot figure out if the two Echos will coordinate if I start a stream with one, then change the stream with the other?  Has anyone tried to do this?

mike27oct

Re: 2 Echos and 1 Bluetooth receiver: who pervails
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2016, 06:53:00 pm »
Echo devices are not intended to be "hard wired", they are wireless devices.  Secondly, Echos do not transmit BT, they only receive BT.  If you want to transmit BT, you need a Dot, and sending BT from two Dots to one BT receiver is problematic I would presume. like which Dot prevails?

See this link at Amazon:   https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=202016990

DParker

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2016, 08:24:18 pm »
Plus, you cannot initiate audio streaming on one Echo/Dot and have the stream transfer to a different Echo/Dot.

LarrC

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2016, 03:39:10 pm »
Thanks. 

I meant I have two Dots.  The question could be simplified by imagining I have single dual input BT speaker - forget the transmitter/receiver and that it is a whole home audio system.  So, pair two Dot's to one BT speaker and is it possible to make the second source prevail without first terminating the first source?

DParker

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2016, 03:49:26 pm »
Thanks. 

I meant I have two Dots.  The question could be simplified by imagining I have single dual input BT speaker - forget the transmitter/receiver and that it is a whole home audio system.  So, pair two Dot's to one BT speaker and is it possible to make the second source prevail without first terminating the first source?

What do you mean by having the 2nd Dot "prevail"?  They're not in some sort of competetive struggle with each other.  And as I said, you can't initiate streaming from one Echo/Dot and then tranfer the stream to a different Echo/Dot.

Coast1613

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2016, 08:33:30 am »
I think I understand what you are saying. You want to listen to one Dot in one room then walk into another and have that "new" Dot change the song.  But the other Dot would have to disconnect from bluetooth and the new one would have to connect.  I think you would have to have the one disconnect from bluetooth receiver first then have the "new" Dot connect to bluetooth receiver.  Problem might be is that the original Dot after disconnecting will reconnect immediately because most bluetooth receivers keep looking for a connection.  The Dot will accept the request and you won't have time to connect the other Dot.  That is a problem I am having right now.  I'm trying to find a bluetooth receiver which will not try and reconnect.

mike27oct

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2016, 05:11:37 pm »
To stop a Dot from reconnecting to a BT device you have to tell it "disconnect bluetooth" and it will not connect again until you tell the same Dot to "connect bluetooth" again.  Meanwhile, while the first is disconnected, the second Dot can connect to the other Dot with the command "connect bluetooth".  This presupposes all Dots have been "paired" with both Dots previously.  I do this often with all my Dots when I take a BT speaker to connect with a different Dot in another room.