Echo & Alexa Forums

No Orange Ring echo dot 2

Odnac

No Orange Ring echo dot 2
« on: December 16, 2016, 03:52:14 pm »
Installed echo at home worked great. I took it on a trip and tried to connect it to new wifi router. Never got orange ring indicator when attempting to set up new wifi connection. Followed instructions for reset and again did  not get orange ring. Assuming broke echo 2 ordered another intending to return original on return. Amazing! Cannot get the orange ring for connect or reset on the new dot 2. Looks like I will be returning two dots to Amazon

DParker

Re: No Orange Ring echo dot 2
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2016, 10:09:39 pm »
Installed echo at home worked great. I took it on a trip and tried to connect it to new wifi router. Never got orange ring indicator when attempting to set up new wifi connection. Followed instructions for reset and again did  not get orange ring. Assuming broke echo 2 ordered another intending to return original on return. Amazing! Cannot get the orange ring for connect or reset on the new dot 2. Looks like I will be returning two dots to Amazon

So, you've left out some info.  Did you attempt to setup the 2nd Dot while on your trip, or after you were back home?  And does the 1st Dot no longer work at home?  Or are you still away from home?

mike27oct

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2016, 10:23:59 pm »
This whole experience sounds like user error to me.  I took mine on a trip last month and connected to the new and different network right away.  You need a refresher course on setting the darn things up.

In Alexa app, go to Settings from main menu.  If you have more than one device registered, find the correct one you want to set up.  Click on Update wi-fi, and follow the "bouncing ball" from there.

Odnac

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2016, 11:19:04 am »
A good nights unpowered rest for the original Echo Dot has brougnt it back to life. Pressing the control button todat for less than 5 sec produced the orange ring. Wi Fi connection a snap.  Will check it out on my return home next week

gus

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2018, 08:05:55 pm »
I have tried every suggestion at this site- reset, unplug, hold down setup button 5 sec., hold down mic and -button for 25 sec., every troubleshoot on every site but still no orange light.
I am at a vacation location for 2 months with my own Comcast Internet wireless modem.  Every computer in the cabin works fine but I can't get the orange light or find Amazon Wireless on my Wi-Fi list.
Any other help here,
D

Offline jwlv

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2018, 08:53:47 pm »
Are you doing exactly what this video shows?

BTW, the people who made the video is Argos technical support. I don't know who they are. I suggest contacting Amazon directly for any support issues with your Echo devices.

Mikeythin

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2018, 03:40:08 am »
Gus is right.  It's frustrating, but leave it overnight to bleed old memories.  Come back to it refreshed (both of you), -plug it in and follow instructions!

Marjenk

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2018, 07:58:21 pm »
This is happening to me as well. Amazon said my echo just stopped working. There is nothing they can do. buy a new one! Only had it a few months . i thought i bought ins for it but i got ins for the speaker (which sucks). Amazon products are getting cheap. I had to replace my firestick as well smh

mike27oct

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2018, 10:43:48 pm »
Unplug it and let it set for five minutes.  Then power on and try again.

ginsburgnm

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2018, 04:55:46 pm »
Hey, so I just had a similar issue!

I have a spinning blue light, and this apparently means it's checking for updates and installing updates. If you leave it plugged in and disconnected long enough it will eventually give up and say "I can't seem to connect to the internet" or something along those lines, you will then be able to set it up. It will then immediately try the updates again and it will not be usable until they are installed.

JMMaston@cvgrp.com

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2018, 04:21:09 pm »
Same here with a new unit.  I set it up fine yesterday fresh out of the box.  Then wanted to change accounts so I factory reset it, got the orange ring and began to re-registered it with the app.  Midway through it hung and it now spins continuously blue.  Customer tech support gave up as well and is sending me a new one.  I'll leave powered off  (unplugged) overnight and retry.

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2018, 06:47:25 pm »
all new echo devices need updating.  sometimes it may take several hours even a day or so for it to happen since who knows how long it has been sitting on the shelf.  since you have already talked to customer service and they are sending you a new one, there is really nothing you can do.  there is a chance since they are sending you a new one, they might have deactivated your old one so it cannot be use. 

teejay44

« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2018, 07:34:02 pm »
Fixed.  Was a faulty power supply.  I started using an old cell phone charger, it had a mini usb and wall wart baked in.   I thought all mini usb little chargers were the same.  That's when the problems started.  Gave the symptoms descibed above.  Always blue, mic + minus didn't work, action button hold down didn't work, powered off for several minutes and even overnight.  Then I switched out to an Apple white plug and a mini usb cord - voila.  Worked in seconds, reconnecting to my wifi.  Essentially - and to the hotel traveler above - don't repurpose a cheap phone charger like I did.