Echo & Alexa Forums

No instructions in Alexia app.

gwatts

No instructions in Alexia app.
« on: December 14, 2016, 10:48:29 am »
Hi
There are posts  scattered across the Internet, indicating that the Amazon Echo dot  works easily with Windows 10, other posts indicate there is no way it works with Windows 10.  I have not been able to make it work.

The app is on my computer, but there are no instructions to do anything with it.  Alexia speaks back to me that she is ready for set up, but then she tells me to follow the instructions in the app  that are not there.

There is an Amazon-XR6 3  that says open and connected in my Wi-Fi but when it appears my usual Internet connection no longer works.  In order to post this I have to reconnect with my usual network connections.

Does the  Echo Dot work with Windows 10?

Is the Echo supposed to work with my usual Internet connection?

My goal is to play podcasts off my computer controlled 100% by voice.  I understand I can upload them, but if possible, I would like to play them right off my computer.  That’s probably all I want to do with the Echo.

I will be grateful for comments or advice.  Thank you.

DParker

Re: No instructions in Alexia app.
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2016, 11:16:32 am »

My goal is to play podcasts off my computer controlled 100% by voice.  I understand I can upload them, but if possible, I would like to play them right off my computer.  That’s probably all I want to do with the Echo.

You bought an Echo without knowing whether or not it will do the one thing you want to do with it?  That said, you can use the Echo to do what you want, but it requires more than just what you have currently, and is fairly involved and requires a bit of tech savvy to implement.  A search of this forum on "stream", "music" and "PC" will turn up several threads on the topic, and a Google search on the same terms with "Echo" added will turn up a lot more.

mike27oct

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2016, 09:06:55 pm »
To OP,
The Alexa devices relationship with computer operating system, (incl Win 10, Win 7 and Apple operating systems) is not an issue, unless your browser can not go to www.alexa.amazon.com for any reason.

Assuming you are there, there is a Help section, but there is also a big help section at the main Amazon.com site.  Just look for it.

Ideally. an Alexa device is best set up and managed using the Alexa app on a smartphone or tablet.  Do you have either of these devices?

Alpha Bitch

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2016, 10:02:23 pm »
To OP,

Ideally. an Alexa device is best set up and managed using the Alexa app on a smartphone or tablet.  Do you have either of these devices?
As a baby boomer I disagree.  There is no way I could set up all my setting from the Alexia app from some teeny tiny screen.  I control  all of my settings from the Alexis app on a 30" screen computer - iMac.  No squinting necessary. :D