Get CPR certified in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.
Echo & Alexa Forums

Echo Slave?

DaveMPSeattle

Echo Slave?
« on: December 11, 2016, 07:42:59 pm »
Hi,
I have an Echo in my kitchen, but the speakers that are build into my kitchen ceiling are connected to an Amp in the basement.
Is there a way I can tell my Echo in the kitchen to play music, but it then have an Echo in the basement that is connected to my amp play the music in my kitchen speakers?
If this is not possible, anyone have any idea if this is on their road map, or maybe another simple device that plugs into amps for the only purpose of passing the audio from one alexa to that device in the amp (this is very important if you have a home automation system for example and you want to feed the audio into that)
Dave

M1n1fan

Re: Echo Slave?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2016, 08:09:40 am »
Seems like that would have to be part of a larger HA install. But the first thing I thought of would be to cobble together a bluetooth transmitter/receiver arrangement. A bluetooth transmitter connected to an Echo Dot's audio outs. (Replace your Echo with a Dot in the kitchen.) Then have a small amp, not your existing amp, connected to the kitchen speakers. A small bluetooth-equipped amp can be had from Parts Express for $100. Its a low power draw class D amp can be left on all the time. I do that at a local swimming pool club I manage. Its a little clunky but it should work. But that means that all Alexa responses would eminate from the ceiling speakers. Worth it? Dunno. Maybe someone else has a simpler solution.

DParker

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2016, 08:23:14 am »
Is there a way I can tell my Echo in the kitchen to play music, but it then have an Echo in the basement that is connected to my amp play the music in my kitchen speakers?

I wish I had $1 for every time that question has been asked here.  But, no...that behavior is not supported.

rdavis1601

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2016, 11:30:53 am »
Hey Dave... you might be interested in a device like this... Logitech 980-000910 Bluetooth Audio Adapter for Bluetooth Streaming... Amazon has it for $21 at the moment. It plugs in to your amp and then you can connect your dot to it via bluetooth and play your music thru your kitchen speakers. I'm sure there are other brands and models available also.

Chrislee52

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2016, 11:17:43 pm »
I currently have an Echo dot bluetoothed to this  http://www.bestbuy.com/site/rocketfish-bluetooth-music-receiver-black/9976103.p?skuId=9976103 which is connected via optical audio to a Harmon Kardon receiver with no BT.  It can be done, cause I done it.

mike27oct

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2016, 01:01:53 am »
There are problems with the last two solutions: Range.  BT max range is about 30 feet so depending upon the distance  (plus walls and flooring) between kitchen (w/speakers and Dot to transmit) and downstairs (w/amp) this could be a problem.  It likely is.

The best solution I believe is have a Dot in kitchen and a portable BT speaker to take to kitchen, or get a Tap (w/ Alexa and BT, and stereo speakers) which is why I also have a Tap, Dots, and Echo.)  Alexa and music can be wherever we want it. 

Recently bought a 6-pack of Dots; three will be gifts this month, and 3 others are in addition to the two we've had.  We are never far from one of these little buggers. Two new ones are permanently placed somewhere handy, and the last new one is a "floater" for wherever it may be needed.  it is also our travel Dot that already went with us on a 10 day vacation at Thanksgiving time!  Only needed to connect the wi-fi at new location and change location so we got the local weather report. (Just don't forget to change it back to home settings when you return.)  ;)