Echo & Alexa Forums

Can I use Echo and Dots in same house?

Itsmee

Can I use Echo and Dots in same house?
« on: December 12, 2016, 12:18:13 pm »
Hi folks.

I want to use an Echo for me in my study, but I would like to put Dots in the kids bedrooms.
Would that be okay?

I havent purchased or used any yet and wanted to make sure before I did.

thanks for anyhelp

DParker

Re: Can I use Echo and Dots in same house?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2016, 12:29:44 pm »
Hi folks.

I want to use an Echo for me in my study, but I would like to put Dots in the kids bedrooms.
Would that be okay?

thanks for anyhelp

Yep, you can mix-and-match Echos, Dots, Taps and any other Alexa-enabled devices in your home, either on one Amazon account or multiple different ones.  Many here have been doing that for quite some time now.  Most use a single Amazon account for all devices, but occasionally there's a reason to use multiple (which I won't go into unless you come up with a scenario where a single account doesn't work for you).

strayfish

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2016, 12:49:58 pm »
Hi folks.

Would that be okay?

thanks for anyhelp

Yes, I have an Echo in the kitchen, a Dot in the front room, and another Dot in the bedroom. They can play different stations at the same time but I haven't tried with different music selections via e.g. Amazon or Spotify. Someone else here will know :)

Itsmee

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2016, 01:04:14 pm »
Hi and thanks for the replies.
I would likes the kids to be able to play there own music etc. I would imagine they would need their own accounts and apps linked??

strayfish

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2016, 01:10:49 pm »
Hi and thanks for the replies.
I would likes the kids to be able to play there own music etc. I would imagine they would need their own accounts and apps linked??
I would think so if they have their own online music accounts, or if they want to use something like iTunes via a bluetooth connection from their phone/tablet. I'm sure someone else will know from experience though.

mike27oct

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2016, 01:19:04 pm »
The kids can use your account to listen to free music like from Prime (assuming you have a prime account), tunein radio, Pandora, etc. and if you bought the unlimited music plan they and you could listen to anything from Amazon.  A second account is an unnecessary expense, as it would have to have the $100+ Prime account, too.

Why not put the Echo in a central location for all to use, and get yourself and kids Dots (which can cast its sound via Bluetooth to speakers, etc.

Offline jwlv

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2016, 05:59:43 pm »
The kids can use your account to listen to free music like from Prime (assuming you have a prime account), tunein radio, Pandora, etc. and if you bought the unlimited music plan they and you could listen to anything from Amazon.  A second account is an unnecessary expense, as it would have to have the $100+ Prime account, too.

Why not put the Echo in a central location for all to use, and get yourself and kids Dots (which can cast its sound via Bluetooth to speakers, etc.

I believe the free music from Prime can only stream to 2 Echoes at the same time. If you try to stream to a third Echo, it'll say something like Prime music is already playing on another device.

mike27oct

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2016, 06:30:19 pm »
I just had three devices play free prime music jazz and all worked.  I had 4 devices play a different tunein station with no problem.
Unlimited prime music  can only play on one device at a time unless one pays the additional toll for all devices to play it.