Echo & Alexa Forums

Amazon-XXX Does Not Show In Available Networks

jawjahpeach

Amazon-XXX Does Not Show In Available Networks
« on: December 18, 2016, 01:51:49 pm »
I am trying to set up a new Echo.  Amazon-XXX does not show as an available network.  I just spent the better part of an hour with online support.  No matter what information I gave the rep, she went through her tools and asked me the same questions over and over.  I told her that Amazon-16V showed as an available network and asked her if that was what I was supposed to select.  She said that it was.  The device info shows that it is a Realtek device.  Is Realtek the manufacturer of the Echo? 

When I select the  Amazon-16V and try to log in, it repeatedly rejects my password.  Error message:  Bad password.  Once I got the message:  Unable to connect [paraphrased].  Error 1.  She said there was no such Error 1 message.  She wanted me to change my Amazon password and asked me several times to be sure that my wi-fi password was correct.  I told her no less than about a half dozen times that I had just updated my router firmware and had to log in to do so.  Additionally, I had the router info open on my desktop and was looking at the password. 

I also told her that there was a message that en-US was not a supported language and that my device needed a software update.  She did not seem to comprehend that and never responded.  She simply went on with her planned troubleshooting from her tools.

There is a message that for troubleshooting, go to the help section.  I do not see anything remotely resembling a help section.

Any direction is appreciated.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2016, 05:13:39 pm by jawjahpeach »

DParker

Re: Amazon-XXX Does Not Show In Networks
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2016, 01:56:22 pm »
I'm confused.  What is your router's SSID?

jawjahpeach

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2016, 02:05:28 pm »
Are  you asking me for the name I have assigned to the SSID?
« Last Edit: December 18, 2016, 02:16:48 pm by jawjahpeach »

mike27oct

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2016, 02:45:31 pm »
Not quite sure why Mr. Parker asked you your router's SSID; he must have still been half asleep when he asked this.  Not his typical good advice.  So, moving on . . .

I have set up over a half dozen Alexa devices of all three models.  Some went smoothly; some did not, but eventually all are working fine.

First thing is, the Echo sounds like it has its brains scrambled with bad cached data.  The best idea I got from Amazon's online instruction for trouble with setup is to unplug the device for at least five minutes so the circuits of the device get totally cleared.

Are you using the Alexa app to do the setup, and on what device: phone or tablet?

After five minutes are up, plug the Echo back in, let it get setup and tell you to proceed.  Follow the verbal instruction and those on the app.  First you need to be connected to the Amazon-XXX internal wi-fi of the device, and when that happens it will tell you to select your home wi-fi signal, and if you see one for both the 2.4G and the 5G signals, select the one for 2.4G (you will have better range on this one).  Enter your password for the SSID.  Device will tell you it can take a minute or two to connect, and when it does, your Echo should be connected to your home network and internet.

If you experience problems, unplug again for five minutes and follow steps for setup again.  Let us know if you get it setup; you likely will!

DParker

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2016, 04:14:48 pm »
Not quite sure why Mr. Parker asked you your router's SSID; he must have still been half asleep when he asked this.  Not his typical good advice.

Well, that's probably because it wasn't advice.  It was a question...hence the "?" at the end.  I asked because that's what this thread is about, but I'm having a difficult time determining what the mentions of "Amazon_XXX" and "Amazon_16V" are all about.  Is one of the them the router's SSID (ore one of  SSIDs, if a dual-band router)?  If not, why is he expecting to see those names?

Are  you asking me for the name I have assigned to the SSID?

The name is the SSID (Service Set IDentifier).

jawjahpeach

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2016, 05:13:07 pm »
I am setting up on desktop.

I unplugged for 5 minutes.  Now when I plug it back in there is a blue light, then the noise, then it says Hello and powers off.

I do not see 2.4G and 5G.

Thank you.

jawjahpeach

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2016, 05:13:23 pm »
The instructions say to look for Amazon-XXX.  I do not see Amazon-XXX.  I was seeing Amazon-16V as an available network.  Now nothing is showing because the Echo power off just after it powers on.  I know what SSID is.  My router's ID has a name that I personally assigned.  I don't understand why you need that. 

jawjahpeach

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2016, 05:14:01 pm »
The instructions say to look for Amazon-XXX.  I do not see Amazon-XXX.  I was seeing Amazon-16V as an available network.  Now nothing is showing because the Echo power off just after it powers on.  I know what SSID is.  My router's SSID has a name that I personally assigned.  I don't understand why you need that.

mike27oct

Re: Amazon-XXX Does Not Show In Available Networks
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2016, 05:39:34 pm »
Amazon_XXX is a space holder for the exact name of your signal; XXX are variables. so what you are seeing:  Amazon_16V is the signal you need to connect to; you will never see a signal with XXX in it, and in fact, the 16V are the last three characters of YOUR Echo's serial number.  (Look on the box for the serial number.)  Dots happen to have their serial numbers on the bottom of the Dot.)

OK, you are using a desktop, but HOW?  Are you logged into your browser to the www.alexa.amazon.com site where you can access the Alexa app?  You HAVE to use the Alexa app either from a mobile device or the browser for setup.  Do you have a smartphone or tablet?  If so, I suggest you use it (with Alexa app installed) to setup with instead of a computer.

DParker

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2016, 05:40:42 pm »
I am setting up on desktop.

And your desktop has a WiFi connection rather than being plugged directly into your router, correct?

I unplugged for 5 minutes.  Now when I plug it back in there is a blue light, then the noise, then it says Hello and powers off.

What makes you think it's powered off?  Does it show as OFFLINE in the Alexa app
I do not see 2.4G and 5G.

You don't see them where?  Where are you expecting to see them, and in what form?

The instructions say to look for Amazon-XXX.  I do not see Amazon-XXX.  I was seeing Amazon-16V as an available network.

That's because the instructions aren't twlling you too look for "Amazon-XXX".  They're telling you to look for an SSID with the format "Amazon-XXX", where "XXX" is replaced with some other 3-character alphanumeric string.  In your case that was "16V".

I know what SSID is.  My router's ID has a name that I personally assigned.  I don't understand why you need that.

Because in your original post you zoomed right from connecting to your Echo to talking about your router's password, and I wanted to determine if you saw your router's SDID somewhere along the way.

jawjahpeach

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2016, 05:50:02 pm »
Thanks for clarifying.  I initially thought that was the case but the instructions say to look for Amazon-XXX, nothing more. 

I am logged into my browser to alexa.amazon.com.  That was listed as an option.  Others devices are not an option for me.  There is no help section, however.

I seem to have backed into a solution somehow.  Not sure what it was because I've done the same thing about 20 times with the same error message, but she's talking to me now.

Under my wi-fi abailable networks, Amazon-16V is no longer showing.  It does show under manage networks. When I initially connected to it, there was a warning that it was open and that others could also connect.  Is there a way to secure the connection?  The only option I see are connect automatically [on/off] and metered connection.

Thank you.

jawjahpeach

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2016, 05:59:49 pm »
My router is inline between the modem and computer.

I believed it was powered off because the light came on, she said hello and was abruptly cut off.  Under available networks, the Echo would not show as it had before.

In another thread I had read that folks went into radio signals to find the 2.4G and 5G.  That's where I looked.  I did not see this during setup [as advised in a previous post]:  First you need to be connected to the Amazon-XXX internal wi-fi of the device, and when that happens it will tell you to select your home wi-fi signal, and if you see one for both the 2.4G and the 5G signals, select the one for 2.4G (you will have better range on this one). 

And that was what I was trying to clarify, that Amazon-16V was actually my device.  It said that it was a Realtek device and I couldn't find that info anywhere on my Echo, the box or the internet.

Yes, I saw my router's SSID.  It populated, then asked for my password.  It rejected my password a couple of dozen times.  A few times it just gave a message:  Unable to complete setup.  Error 1.  The rep said there was no such message.  And yet it was on my screen.  Several times.  No further explanation for it.

Thanks for your help.  For the moment, at least, it's finally working.

mike27oct

« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2016, 06:46:11 pm »
The XXX are variables for the characters you see; in your case 16V (which happens to be the last three characters of your Echo's serial number.)  Yes the Amazon_XXX signal is not secure,so everyone setting up an Echo can find it for the less than a minute it needs to be on for setup.  It is now gone but could come up again if setting up again.

Some people have set up their dual-band router to display both the 2.4G band and the 5G band.  That is why I mentioned the bands.

Anyway, you say your Echo is setup now, right?

You will need to bookmark this Amazon page below if you have further questions about your Echo:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=hp_ss_v3_ds_t4?ie=UTF8&nodeId=200127470
The page can be found if you go into Help on the Amazon main page