Echo & Alexa Forums

Adding a second Echo

Deane Johnson

Adding a second Echo
« on: July 10, 2015, 07:55:50 pm »
I'm so pleased with the performance of my Echo, I'm thinking of adding a second one in the bedroom.

Does it act as an extension of the first one simply located in a different place?    Or, is it a completely separate system with it's own devices?

Offline jwlv

Re: Adding a second Echo
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2015, 09:59:12 pm »
It appears that the physical location of an Echo doesn't really matter. What matters is what account is logged in through the Echo.
So if two people have Echoes in separate locations, but logged into one account, both share everything that is available to the account holder. That means the music, the Wemo/Hue devices, calendar, etc.

Deane Johnson

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2015, 06:05:48 am »
Thanks.  That would be exactly what I want.

ScarlettPhoenix

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2015, 07:53:47 am »
To piggy back on jwlv's answer- you can't make them play the same music at the same time, except for stuff like iHeart Radio. There's no way to sync them. I have one in the bedroom and one in the kitchen. Both serve some of the same functions and they each serve different functions because of their location. My bedroom Alexa serves as my alarm clock. The kitchen Alexa serves as my main shopping list function but I do add things as I walk through the house. Yes-it all goes on the same list.

prepulse

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2015, 04:32:34 pm »
@ScarlettPhoenix How do you get your amazon echos to play the same music at the same time?
Thanks,
Trever

ScarlettPhoenix

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2015, 06:56:36 pm »
@ScarlettPhoenix How do you get your amazon echos to play the same music at the same time?
Thanks,
Trever

Hello Trevor!
The only music I've ever been able to sync up is ones on radio stations because it's streamed from the cloud and not initiated by me. If you're thinking of like having a party and having both of them going at the same time with the same music, that might get a little overwhelming. One should do it unless you have a huge mansion. In that case, I'll be right over!   ;D

prepulse

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2015, 08:54:29 am »
Thank you