Echo & Alexa Forums

Simple Enhanced Volume Control

Bigpadg

Simple Enhanced Volume Control
« on: December 08, 2016, 05:35:38 pm »
Since we are currently limited to 10-levels (1-10) of voice-controlled volume on a device with somewhere between 32-40 distinct and discrete volume increments addressable by either turning Echo's volume ring or adjusting the slider in the Alexa app, it seems the super-simple solution for Amazon engineers would be to have Alexa listen for one specific word included in a spoken volume adjustment - and that word is: "slightly". Using "slightly" with the rest of the command, i.e. Alexa, volume slightly up or Alexa, slightly quieter, et al. would allow her to alter volume by one single discrete level, making more finite volume adjustments available by voice. My problem is when I fall asleep at night with my music playing, volume 3 is too loud and 2 is too quiet, so I either have to get up and turn the ring or open the app on my phone and adjust slider slightly. You can all verify what I'm saying by trying your Alexa app volume slider; you'll see Echo's ring light up with a small movement of the slider, indicating a volume-level change, even when the whole number displayed beside the slider hasn't changed. I don't know of any audio device so limited as to 10 volume levels, all other audio equipment has 32 if not way more. Such a simple solution, even a bit elegant, I hope some of you will agree.

DParker

Re: Simple Enhanced Volume Control
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2016, 05:37:37 pm »
I'd like to cast my vote for "a smidge" as the official unit of fine volume control.

mike27oct

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2016, 06:53:01 pm »
I opt for "3db" -- the least perceptible volume change.  :)

Offline kevb

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2016, 09:47:11 pm »
I want one that goes to 11 ;)

mike27oct

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2016, 11:56:18 pm »
Yea, but only if you don't care if it spontaneously combusts!

gradyr1953

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2016, 03:27:53 pm »
I've requested that the user be able to set the volume using the volume ring and then assign a friendly name to that level. For example, "Night time" for soft music to fall asleep to, "Day time" for normal listening "Party Time" for loud gatherings, etc.

Then, rather than fiddling with levels or the volume ring, just say "Set volume to Night Time."

Jeff29

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2017, 11:56:06 pm »
I don't understand.  It's voice control.  Why wouldn't Amazon allow us voice control access to each volume setting.  "Alexa level 18" is way easier than having to run to Alexa and manually set a volume.  I wasn't even aware the manual controls allowed for this because I have the same complaint that 1-through-10 isn't enough.

I also think having "night time," "day time," and "party time" manually configured defaults would be a great idea.  Heck, let the user configure any manual default "Alexa mom's here" "Volume set to max" (so mom can hear it).

Resonance

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2017, 10:25:57 pm »
It's a good idea. I listen at night a lot and volume 1 is too low, volume 2 is too high. They could do with a 1-30 scale or something. It's a pain having to manually adjust the volume.

malliekm

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2017, 10:50:27 pm »
I don't understand.  It's voice control.  Why wouldn't Amazon allow us voice control access to each volume setting.  "Alexa level 18" is way easier than having to run to Alexa and manually set a volume.  I wasn't even aware the manual controls allowed for this because I have the same complaint that 1-through-10 isn't enough.

I also think having "night time," "day time," and "party time" manually configured defaults would be a great idea.  Heck, let the user configure any manual default "Alexa mom's here" "Volume set to max" (so mom can hear it).

LOL, I thought "mom's here" would be OFF!  ;D 
Google Home can be adjusted in increments of 0 to 100%.  It also has a "Night Mode".  You use sliders to adjust the night time volume and LED brightness and set the on and off time for Night Mode.  I find it a lot more useful than I thought I would.   Now at night when I ask it a question, I'm not bombarded with 100% volume.  I've got it set for 40% Now if they would just hurry up with the Broadcast Mode that was supposed to be live by the end of Oct!  ::)

Jeff29

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2017, 12:49:48 am »
LOL, I thought "mom's here" would be OFF!  ;D 
Google Home can be adjusted in increments of 0 to 100%.  It also has a "Night Mode".  You use sliders to adjust the night time volume and LED brightness and set the on and off time for Night Mode.  I find it a lot more useful than I thought I would.   Now at night when I ask it a question, I'm not bombarded with 100% volume.  I've got it set for 40% Now if they would just hurry up with the Broadcast Mode that was supposed to be live by the end of Oct!  ::)

I was thinking "mom's here" = volume 200% for her hearing aids :D

I don't think your proposed solution would work given my situation.  I reduce volume to level 4 for evening just by saying "Alexa level 4".  It's a very low volume setting and Alexa is practically impossible to hear but the music plays at a low-level that works for sleeping.  That means I can't hear Alexa.  Now if I could set Alexa at level 6 and music at level 4 that would be the best option.

This is something even cars have done for at least a decade if not longer.

Back on-topic:  You have to walk over to the sliders (on Alexa).  If I have to do that I might as well get rid of the Amazon devices and go back to my stereo alone which at-least has a remote that apparently works better than Alexa currently offers :/