Echo & Alexa Forums

Echo thinks it's a Firestick

pmoody

Echo thinks it's a Firestick
« on: December 08, 2016, 01:47:37 pm »
Here's a techie question.  I have the Firestick.  It was plugged into power but not on.  I took a new Echo out of the box, registered it with Amazon and set it up.  It won't connect to the internet now, OR the voice remote.  Instructions say go to the left pop out menu >settings > Echo > Pair remote.  However, Echo isn't the top item in the menu....the Firestick is.  So it appears that the Echo recognized and registered itself with Amazon as a Firestick so that is what it is acting like.  I tried resetting the Echo and doing a new setup but it remained the same.  I completely unplugged the Firestick from power source and now the Echo won't connect or even find my ATT 3801HGV modem/router.  I think it was initially receiving internet service through the Firestick but now that it's unplugged, it can't connect. Any idea on how to straighten this out so that it again presents itself as an Echo?  Thanks ahead. 

mike27oct

Re: Echo thinks it's a Firestick
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2016, 02:14:27 pm »
If  Firestick is plugged into power it is "on", as there is no on/off switch other than power on/off.  Same situation exists for Echo; no power on/off switch.

Suggest you unplug the Fire Stick and try to set up Echo. Unplug Echo for at least 5 minutes, then plug it back in and try to set it up.  Once set up, you can then set up the Firestick, but do NOT plug it back in until ready to actually set it up! (This holds true for any device that does not have an on/off switch, and there are plenty of things today like this.)

DParker

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2016, 02:17:00 pm »
I have the Firestick.  It was plugged into power but not on.

If the Firestick is receiving power (plugged in) then it is "on", in that it's internal components...like the WiFi radio...are powered up and functioning.  Just because your TV isn't using it as input doesn't mean that it's not on.

I took a new Echo out of the box, registered it with Amazon and set it up.  It won't connect to the internet now, OR the voice remote.  Instructions say go to the left pop out menu >settings > Echo > Pair remote.  However, Echo isn't the top item in the menu....the Firestick is.  So it appears that the Echo recognized and registered itself with Amazon as a Firestick so that is what it is acting like.

No.  What you're seeing is in fact your Firestick.  It appears there because it is also an Alexa-enabled device registered with your Amazon account.  Do you not see the Echo listed below it?[/quote]

I completely unplugged the Firestick from power source and now the Echo won't connect or even find my ATT 3801HGV modem/router.  I think it was initially receiving internet service through the Firestick but now that it's unplugged, it can't connect.

Your Firestick is not a router, and there is no way your Echo was connecting to the internet through it.

Any idea on how to straighten this out so that it again presents itself as an Echo?  Thanks ahead.

Your Echo doesn't think it's a Firestick, so there's nothing to straighten out there.  It sounds like the Echo isn't actually registered with your Amazon account.

pmoody

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2016, 02:44:46 pm »
Hey, thanks for all of the input.  I didn't type what I was thinking...as usual.  I realize that without an on/off, any device of that nature is setting in waiting.  What I should've said was that it wasn't operational at the time I ran the Echo set up.  I will try a complete reset tonight.  From what I've read, when the action button on the Echo is held down 5 sec or longer, it's not supposed to go into setup.  It's supposed to do a factory reset which is probably my best alternative.  So I'll try to sort this out and report back.  Thanks!