Echo & Alexa Forums

2nd BRAND NEW Echo Dot refuses to connect to WIFI

AlbinoSasquatch

2nd BRAND NEW Echo Dot refuses to connect to WIFI
« on: December 05, 2016, 06:46:15 pm »
I've had my first Dot since I got it at Best Buy 11/27 and LOVE it! I was so impressed I ordered a second Dot and an Oontz Angle 3 Plus speaker. For whatever reason Amazon couldn't supply the Dot until today when there were piles of them on the shelf at Best Buy a week ago  ??? . That's not the main issue though. Dot #2 powers up fine but refuses to connect to my WIFI network when I get to that point. I even disconnected my Dot #1 and plugged #2 in her place within 3 feet of my 60mbps modem and router. Still no go with PC or phone app. Amazon Alexa setup keeps telling me to connect to Amazon L5V. That shows "not in range" and only offers cancel or forget options. After trying dozens of times I finally gave up and plugged the power back in to Dot #1 and she connects and does everything (well almost everything ;) I ask. What the heck am I missing? Dot #1 was 100% trouble free during initial setup. Is #2 a dud?

Joe 

DParker

Re: 2nd BRAND NEW Echo Dot refuses to connect to WIFI
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2016, 07:03:26 pm »
Amazon Alexa setup keeps telling me to connect to Amazon L5V. That shows "not in range" and only offers cancel or forget options.

What is the SSID for the 2.4 GHz band of your router?

AlbinoSasquatch

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2016, 08:32:25 pm »
I FINALLY got it to connect. Went ahead and kept watching Amazon L5V keep coming up"not in range". Let it go for no less than 10 minutes and voila! It popped up connected! I then connected it to my network and all works fine now even with both Dot's connected. One is in the bedroom at the PC and the newest one is in the kitchen. The first one connected right away with no fuss whatsoever. So easy I don't even remember just what I had to do if anything, it was that uncomplicated. This second one took over 3 hours to have success. I wonder how many are returned because of how long it takes to get that second one to recognize a network? I'm confused as to why it wouldn't connect to my network in the first place though even with the first one disconnected. Not an issue now as both are working fine at last.

Joe

mike27oct

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2016, 09:24:28 pm »
I had trouble setting up a new Dot recently when I have quite a few of the various echo devices set up.  I looked up the Echo help online and it basically said, when all else fails, unplug unit and let it stay that way for 5 minute or longer.  There must be some sort of charge that stays in unit that long, because when I tried again, setup went as well as all the others.  You could have had a similar issue.