Echo & Alexa Forums

Using Amazon Echo to navigate through Roku and Netflix

rj2307

Using Amazon Echo to navigate through Roku and Netflix
« on: December 03, 2016, 02:27:24 pm »
Dear All,

I wish to thank you all in advance for any suggestion I get here.

My setup:
Components: Samsung SUHD/4K TV, Bose Soundtouch 520, Roku Ultra, Google Chromecast and a Blu-ray player. All are connected to TV via HDMI and the Bose ST520 is the sound source. I control them all using a Logitech Harmony Elite remote control.  I have created multiple activities on the remote to play/control the devices.

Problem:
Recently I bought an Amazon Echo Dot and plan to control all the devices/activities. I downloaded the Harmony Skill on Alexa App on phone. I can now switch on and switch off the system, command it to play HBO or Netflix or other apps on Roku and it works well.  But its limited to this only.

Is there a way to totally stop using Harmony remote and navigate using Alexa. For eg, when I say, “Alexa, start “Netflix” activity”, it turns on the right devices and I can see home page of Netflix (with two profiles I had created). After that I can’t instruct it to select a profile and then search or navigate (left, right, up, down) by voice commands. Can someone help ??????

I read an article about this (http://reflowster.com/blog/2015/07/21/rokuvoicecontrol.html). That involves creating a Skil using Amazon Skill Kit, Node JS and AWS Lambda. That’s an older artivle and after that Echo added skill for Harmony. Therefore I feel there must be a way to do it without going through that long procedure.

Please help !!

Thanks you,
RJ2307

rj2307

Re: Using Amazon Echo to navigate through Roku and Netflix
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2016, 03:54:06 am »
Does anyone have a solution to my problem?

Please help !!!!!!! :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[

mike27oct

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2016, 04:21:51 am »
Nobody has told you because it most surely can't be done, but if you get a Fire TV stick much can be done, because they are made to work together.  BTW, I have  Roku and a Fire TV Stick and both have Netflix, plus I installed Kodi app on my Fire TV sticks and can access my entire digital music and video collection using the Fire TV.  New Fire TV sticks now come with a voice remote for accessing Alexa.  I just got one, but it is not operational yet.  Too busy with the season's list of things to do!

Offline kevb

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2016, 07:40:39 am »
I think you would need to build Harmony "activities" to navigate left, right, etc. I use a Harmony Hub and Echo to turn on, off, change channels, etc. but to be honest it's much easier for me to just use the remote if I'm sitting in front of the tv.

mike27oct

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2016, 02:21:26 pm »
Agree with kevb.  I have never seen any advantage in an all-in-one remote; especially for cable TV with many options such as record shows, watch recorded shows, etc.  I also have many source inputs connected to our TV (e.g Roku, Fire TV, Chromecast, media player, blu-ray player, even an ol' laser disk player!)  Using the individual remotes are more convenient than programming and using an all-in-one remote; just keep them in a remote caddy.

boudicca

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2016, 05:28:41 pm »
Agree with kevb.  I have never seen any advantage in an all-in-one remote; especially for cable TV with many options such as record shows, watch recorded shows, etc.  I also have many source inputs connected to our TV (e.g Roku, Fire TV, Chromecast, media player, blu-ray player, even an ol' laser disk player!)  Using the individual remotes are more convenient than programming and using an all-in-one remote; just keep them in a remote caddy.

Confused you use remotes, individual remotes. What on earth drove you to buy an echo,  you could just have employed a butler or get up and change channel the old way and get some proper exercise.

And there today we have "Alexa tell harmony to turn on BBC One" out of the box.....without any phaff...

That said...with a bit of twiddling and bit of kannyness, you could do this with relative ease.
         | Alexa Turn on Netflix  (RPI - HA Bridge - Huelight Switch)               
                | Harmony - TV on / Switch Input
                | RPI - Yamaha - Set volume -30db (long story but Yam's can be commanded via eth:))
                | Huelights - Dimmed
         With a bit more Fiddling.
                | Harmony.py (RPI) - Fire TV (Firmware 5.05 ) - Double Click Home (Firestarter) -  Netflix

Job done (I know because that's what it does!)

:)
« Last Edit: December 15, 2016, 05:34:02 pm by boudicca »

mike27oct

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2016, 01:07:10 am »

Confused you use remotes, individual remotes. What on earth drove you to buy an echo,  you could just have employed a butler or get up and change channel the old way and get some proper exercise.

:)

Not only do I have an Echo, I have Dots and Taps. They can do lots more things than just work with a Harmony remote.  There's no way to change channels the old fashioned way since there are no knobs to turn anymore.  So, using your harmony remote gives YOU more exercise?

Having a cable TV box w/DVR and lots of channels plus Netflix and Amazon Video etc. as well as 10+ other input devices connected to TV would likely overload a Harmony remote.  We have a lot of cable channels in the US, including your BBC.  And besides, the cable's remote incorporates voice control feature better than Alexa's and likely outclasses any Harmony remote.

Also, please back off on the snarkyness in here as well.

boudicca

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2016, 05:57:38 pm »
.Also, please back off on the snarkyness in here as well.

Did you read what I actually wrote ? I don't use any remote.

The Harmony Hub is just a IR /Bluetooth/wifi controller that can be expanded by an RPI and a bit of linkage to control virtually anything. Where the Harmony hub comes into its own is with the use of various free home automation products.  My point is having a box of remotes isn't necessary.

And apologies if you misunderstood my genuine disbelief that given that the echo as a centre of a home automation experience is there at your vocal command, you advocate a box of remotes to control your media life.

mike27oct

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2016, 07:28:24 pm »

The Harmony Hub is just a IR /Bluetooth/wifi controller that can be expanded by an RPI and a bit of linkage to control virtually anything. Where the Harmony hub comes into its own is with the use of various free home automation products.  My point is having a box of remotes isn't necessary.

And apologies if you misunderstood my genuine disbelief that given that the echo as a centre of a home automation experience is there at your vocal command, you advocate a box of remotes to control your media life.

Did YOU read what I wrote?  Your use of auto-control indicates you don't want to get off YOUR butt. either.

And your assumption that "the echo as a centre of a home automation experience is there at your vocal command, you advocate a box of remotes to control your media life."  Thia is your opinion about the best use of Echo. not mine.  I don't have a "box of remotes" I use just a few regularly.  I have not told you what you do is "stupid" so don't suggest what others do is.  It is OK for one to voice an opinion here, but not OK to put others down about theirs.  You are getting off on the wrong foot being a new visitor to this forum in case you don't know this.

boudicca

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2016, 03:57:33 am »

Did YOU read what I wrote?  Your use of auto-control indicates you don't want to get off YOUR butt. either.

And your assumption that "the echo as a centre of a home automation experience is there at your vocal command, you advocate a box of remotes to control your media life."  Thia is your opinion about the best use of Echo. not mine.  I don't have a "box of remotes" I use just a few regularly.  I have not told you what you do is "stupid" so don't suggest what others do is.  It is OK for one to voice an opinion here, but not OK to put others down about theirs.  You are getting off on the wrong foot being a new visitor to this forum in case you don't know this.

Morning...movin on. Thanks all. check out my stuff at mypocketfluff.wordpress.com  Nice to meet you all inc @Mike27Oct