Echo & Alexa Forums

List of commands or a GOOD user manual

Legenderry

Re: List of commands or a GOOD user manual
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2015, 09:04:58 am »
Question: Is there a command for Echo to turn music off after a set amount of time? I like to have some relaxation music on when I go to sleep, but stop after 15min/30min/ an hour or so ( so it's not playing all night).
 Thanks ahead all :).

Just ask Alexa to turn of in "X" minutes or seconds and she will.

Enjoy

bukzin

« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2015, 12:20:33 pm »
I listen to tech podcasts, many on leo laporte's TWIT network.

I have found that these two commands are useful:

"Alexa, play the station Tech News Today on TuneIn Radio"

and

"Alexa, play the podcast This Week In Tech on TuneIn Radio"

If I use just use "Alex, play Tech News Today" or "Alexa, This Week in Tech" I get a Flash Briefing from NPR.

Oops, now i was just testing this before I posted this and it seems it does understand "Alex, play This Week in Tech".   It seems to have learned that it doesn't need the "podcast" and the "Tunein radio" part for that command.  Not sure what it is learning... my listening habits or the general user base's listening habits for that relatively popular podcast?

Anyway it's nice to be able to call up those podcasts. 

A few problems though:
- The TuneIn radio server doesn't get the podcasts very quickly.  There is a day delay between when they would be available on a podcast app.
- There is no way to jump forward or backward on the podcast when using TuneIn radio.  I don't see a way to jump forward or back on their Android app so I can't imagine it would be available on the Echo.

Makes me wonder if there are ways to listen to podcasts without going through TuneIn.

Maybe the paid (Pro) version of TuneIn would do that.  I have it on a Android phone and will test it when my Echo arrives next week.

StandardModel

« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2015, 06:50:44 pm »
I wish that Alexa had a simple command like "help" which would list all installed programs and the phrases necessary to start them.

Gerfnad

« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2016, 11:16:16 am »
Question: Is there a command for Echo to turn music off after a set amount of time? I like to have some relaxation music on when I go to sleep, but stop after 15min/30min/ an hour or so ( so it's not playing all night).
 Thanks ahead all :).

You may already know this, but now you can start your music then say:
Alexa sleep xx minutes (hours etc).  Alexa will turn the music off at that point.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2016, 11:17:47 am by Gerfnad »

mike27oct

« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2016, 12:56:46 pm »

JoelD

« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2016, 06:04:32 pm »
If you live in Chicago, Houston, New York, Austin, Charlotte, Columbus, Dallas, Denver, Detroit, Indy,Jacksonville, LA , Philly, Phoenix, San Antonio, San Fran, San Jose, Seattle or DC, you can find local news reports, just search Virtual News Center in flash briefings.