Echo & Alexa Forums

Echo Dot doesn't stay disconnected from Bluetooth

ghstudio

Echo Dot doesn't stay disconnected from Bluetooth
« on: December 01, 2016, 01:20:06 am »
I have a logitech bluetooth audio receiver on my entertainment center.  I would like to occasionally connect my echo dot to that receiver....but most of the time, I want the echo dot to play responses/music through the built in Echo speakers.  The bluetooth receiver is always on although the audio equipment is only on when I want to use it.

I can pair the echo dot and the logitech audio receiver and play music through my sound system which sounds quite good....however when I try  "Alexa, disconnect bluetooth" the echo dot responds through it's speakers that it's disconnecting....but then within seconds, it automatically reconnects to the logitech audio receiver and all sound is routed once again to my sound system.  Essentially, disconnect bluetooth isn't really working.

As far as I can tell...and Amazon 2nd level support agrees....if you say disconnect bluetooth, the echo should not automatically connect to bluetooth until I say "Alexa, connect to bluetooth".

I don't know if this is an echo programming issue or another bluetooth incompatible devices issue....but the two devices are not working together as they should.

Has anyone else seen a similar problem?  Are you able to disconnect from bluetooth speakers/adapters and then continue using the echo/echo dot speaker?

DParker

Re: Echo Dot doesn't stay disconnected from Bluetooth
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2016, 09:30:57 am »
Essentially, disconnect bluetooth isn't really working.

Yes, it is.  The problem is that the Logitech adapter is designed to automatically reconnect to the last device it was connected to upon detection of that device.  So a couple of seconds after the disconnect initiated by your Dot completes, your BT adapter detects the presence of the Dot, recognizes that as it's most recent BT partner and issues a connection request.  The Dot assumes you want to reconnect and honors the request.

....but the two devices are not working together as they should.

Yes, they are.  That they aren't working the way you want them to is not the same as them not working the way they're supposed to.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2016, 01:05:29 pm by DParker »

mike27oct

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2016, 12:06:26 pm »
You need to turn OFF the BT of devices not currently using BT, this means if you don't want your phone, tablet, or receiver etc. connecting to a BT device (speaker, Echo etc) you need to turn OFF the BT sources device.  Such is life with BT today.

garyyoung

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2016, 02:52:17 pm »
I have a logitech bluetooth audio receiver on my entertainment center.  I would like to occasionally connect my echo dot to that receiver....but most of the time, I want the echo dot to play responses/music through the built in Echo speakers.  The bluetooth receiver is always on although the audio equipment is only on when I want to use it.

I can pair the echo dot and the logitech audio receiver and play music through my sound system which sounds quite good....however when I try  "Alexa, disconnect bluetooth" the echo dot responds through it's speakers that it's disconnecting....but then within seconds, it automatically reconnects to the logitech audio receiver and all sound is routed once again to my sound system.  Essentially, disconnect bluetooth isn't really working.

Not all Bluetooth receivers will reconnect automatically. I use this one successfully with my dot (as do many other people in the reviews):

https://www.amazon.com/HomeSpot-NFC-Enabled-Bluetooth-Receiver-System/dp/B009OBCAW2/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1480621683&sr=8-3&keywords=nfc+bluetooth

Knaveofherts

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2017, 07:33:05 pm »
I have this problem too. It is extremely frustrating that there is no way to switch off Bluetooth on the Echo. If you ask it to 'disable bluetooth' it doesn't, it just disconnects from the paired device which is of no use if that device is designed to automatically reconnect seconds later. You could argue that the paired device should have the ability to have the auto-reconnect function switched off but behaving that way seems to have become an industry standard therefore the Echo needs a Bluetooth on/off switch and if Amazon don't accept that it will affect sales.

Garyyoung you very helpfully recommended a Bluetooth audio adapter that you said doesn't automatically reconnect however on the British version of Amazon it says it does: https://www.amazon.co.uk/HomeSpot-NFC-enabled-Bluetooth-Receiver-System/dp/B009OBCAW2 Can anyone confirm the state of play here?

I did notice that in the British Amazon website description of the Homespot adapter that garyyoung recommended it states "connects automatically to the last paired device during power up" - I wondered if the 'power up' part of that was relevant. Does that mean the adapter won't try to automatically connect unless you switch it off and on again? If so I could live with that.

Any pointers for potential solutions would be gratefully received.

Thanks for reading.

Mrsmith010

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2017, 11:12:03 am »
I have the same problem. From all the post I have been, there does not seem to be a software soluition comming in the near future.

I am using a Logitech BT adapter as my audio in. As a short term soluition, I ordered a wemo plug-in switch and plugged the BT power adapter into it.  I can now voice active my BT adapter itself so my reconnect issue is solved.

Hba8103

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2018, 04:39:03 pm »
Knaveofherts,

Did you eventually purchase the amazon BT adapter? Did it work. The US version also says that it will automatically reconnect.

I have the Logitech and have the amazon one on the way. I saw another post where someone mentioned disconnecting twice (i.e. disconnect, echo reconnects, disconnect again) will stay disconnected. I tried this last night. It did not work. Then I decided to add some competition, so I paired by iphone to the Logitech BT adapter. This time, the echo disconnected after the second request. Problem is I left home and when I came back, the echo had connected back to the Logitech adapter. This is a pain in the rear. I also don't want to keep my phones BT antenna on as it just wastes battery.

Otistonka

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2018, 01:08:04 pm »
You need to tell your Echo to turn off Bluetooth rather than Disconnect from Bluetooth. This should solve your problem

CW5 Z-Killer

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2019, 10:28:38 pm »
I know I'm late to answer on this, but I find that many old forums for some are new ideas/problems for others, so here is my input:

As silly as the solution may be, I didn't see this in the forum and this is what I did.

I put my Bluetooth receiver on a smart plug and made a routine in Alexa that turns on the switch when I say, "Alexa, turn on home audio". When the switch turns on, the Bluetooth receiver turns on, and the echo automatically connects (as we've observed). When I'm ready to have audio back on the Dot again, I tell Alexa to "turn off home audio". This turns off the smart switch that the BT RCVR is on, which causes the Dot to disconnect, which allows audio to come out of the Dot again. It's a bit of a work around, adds the cost of a smart plug (about $7), but once you have it set up, it works like a charm....hope this helps someone