Echo & Alexa Forums

Echo v2

AlanH

Echo v2
« on: November 29, 2016, 10:10:34 am »
It seems that Amazon might be working on a new version of Echo with a touchscreen:
http://www.macrumors.com/2016/11/29/amazon-echo-speaker-touchscreen/

DParker

Re: Echo v2
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2016, 01:01:33 pm »
It seems that Amazon might be working on a new version of Echo with a touchscreen:

That sounds like it might be exactly what I've been saying all along that these devices really need.  While audio-only interfaces are fine for some things, there's a lot of functionality that can be initiated with a spoken command, but really needs the added benefit of visual output for the results.  For instance, "Alexa, find recipes for chicken pot pie."  Currently, all an Alexa-enabled device could do with that is read you a list of recipe short descriptions and maybe allow you to select one somehow after you'd listened to the list (there are ways to accomplish this, but all of them are clumsy and prone to memory issues when listening through long lists).  And if you're able to select one...what then?  All it could do would be to read the recipe to you.  Is that useful?  Not really, unless you have a phonographic memory.  What's really needed to make that sort of query useful is the ability to display the results visually so that you can refer back to it repeatedly, paying attention to whatever part(s) are needed at the moment.

There are other more involved examples where visual output would be a major boon to the results of voice-initiated operations, but you get the idea.

Beetle-Snake

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2016, 02:31:50 pm »
Personally don't see the point of this and it worries me slightly that the level of intelligence needed to respond through a screen is far less than by the spoken word. I hope this isn't true and doesn't detract from the potential of Alexa in its current form. If you need something sent to a screen it could be done via your phone or a tv fitted with a fire stick.

DParker

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2016, 02:40:50 pm »
Personally don't see the point of this

Really?  I just gave an example of the point of adding visual output to a system like Alexa.

...and it worries me slightly that the level of intelligence needed to respond through a screen is far less than by the spoken word.

How is that even remotely true?

I hope this isn't true and doesn't detract from the potential of Alexa in its current form.

How in the world does increasing the functionality of the platform "detract from" its potential?

If you need something sent to a screen it could be done via your phone or a tv fitted with a fire stick.

Anything you do with Alexa can be done via your phone/tablet/PC.

Try to imagine interacting with people in useful ways, but with them restricted to ONLY giving you auditory responses (no visual cues, demonstrations, etc).  Now tell me that would be an improvement.

k9kids

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2016, 04:49:05 pm »

That sounds like it might be exactly what I've been saying all along that these devices really need.  While audio-only interfaces are fine for some things, there's a lot of functionality that can be initiated with a spoken command, but really needs the added benefit of visual output for the results.  For instance, "Alexa, find recipes for chicken pot pie."  Currently, all an Alexa-enabled device could do with that is read you a list of recipe short descriptions and maybe allow you to select one somehow after you'd listened to the list (there are ways to accomplish this, but all of them are clumsy and prone to memory issues when listening through long lists).  And if you're able to select one...what then?  All it could do would be to read the recipe to you.  Is that useful?  Not really, unless you have a phonographic memory.  What's really needed to make that sort of query useful is the ability to display the results visually so that you can refer back to it repeatedly, paying attention to whatever part(s) are needed at the moment.

There are other more involved examples where visual output would be a major boon to the results of voice-initiated operations, but you get the idea.

Photographic memory, not phonographic.

I think a display would probably be too small to be of much benefit for most uses. Would be better to have the Echo send the recipe to a printer.

If you don't keep the Echo in the kitchen you'll be running back and forth constantly.

Sounds like a $50.00 premium to me.

Snafs

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2016, 05:11:08 pm »
I love the idea of this, mostly for music, as browsing Amazon Music Unlimited to discover new songs is virtually impossible unless you can see things.
However on the other hand I worry as this could mean, well we can't improve the AI, so we are adding a screen.
So I;m kinda split
Screen is a nice extra, but not if it's because Amazon can't improve the echo via the voice interface.

DParker

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2016, 05:21:08 pm »
However on the other hand I worry as this could mean, well we can't improve the AI, so we are adding a screen.

I'm not certain what either of you think that adding an additional output medium has to do with not making further improvements to the AI.  If anything the opposite is more likely, as the addition of visual information creates huge additional potential for useful interaction with the devices.

If I ask someone how to do something and they show me rather than telling me (or in addition to giving me verbal answers), that doesn't necessarily mean their language skills aren't up to the task.  It likely is because some things are just more effectively conveyed visually.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2016, 05:23:42 pm by DParker »

k9kids

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2016, 05:34:12 pm »

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2016, 04:17:57 am »
I'm perfectly happy with the voice interaction of the current generation Echo but I guess a touchscreen could be useful for some people in certain situations depending on how and where they use their Echo.
-Paul.

Beetle-Snake

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2016, 10:53:00 am »
Personally don't see the point of this

Really?  I just gave an example of the point of adding visual output to a system like Alexa.

...and it worries me slightly that the level of intelligence needed to respond through a screen is far less than by the spoken word.

How is that even remotely true?

I hope this isn't true and doesn't detract from the potential of Alexa in its current form.

How in the world does increasing the functionality of the platform "detract from" its potential?

If you need something sent to a screen it could be done via your phone or a tv fitted with a fire stick.

Anything you do with Alexa can be done via your phone/tablet/PC.

Try to imagine interacting with people in useful ways, but with them restricted to ONLY giving you auditory responses (no visual cues, demonstrations, etc).  Now tell me that would be an improvement.

None of us know if this is even a real thing or what direction it will take but once you throw in a screen I think it could be easier for Alexa to recognise a few key words and then dump a list of search results or a webpage for the user to click on. In its crudest form you ask someone to spell a word and they hand you a dictionary. I am sure it won’t be used like this but to take your recipe example its far easier to be sent a recipe to read than it would be for your assistant to talk you through the recipe, move through each section when you are ready (as well as responding to questions about the ingredient or repeating a section again) and then set the timer for you at the end. That for me is intelligence and being interactive and if I want the recipe (or a picture or a video or a map) I can ask for it to be sent to my phone or TV or Sat Nav, but I don’t want to rely only on the screen. Just my opinion on how I would prefer to use Alexa and how I would prefer they focus their development but interesting to see if and how this plays out.

Snafs

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2016, 03:07:24 pm »

I'm not certain what either of you think that adding an additional output medium has to do with not making further improvements to the AI.  If anything the opposite is more likely, as the addition of visual information creates huge additional potential for useful interaction with the devices.

If I ask someone how to do something and they show me rather than telling me (or in addition to giving me verbal answers), that doesn't necessarily mean their language skills aren't up to the task.  It likely is because some things are just more effectively conveyed visually.

Oh, I'm sorry as I did not mean that a screen means they have given up, it's just that I've love to see the voice interface made better rather than adding something different.
I do agree, and I will admit, even before this news, I actually posted elsewhere that I wished there would be an echo with a screen as it's pretty much impossible to "Discover Music" with voice and not seeing anything.

So, yes, yes, a screen please.

Also I would like either a camera so Alexa can see you, and know who you are and that you are there. But I suspect many would not like that. Or voice recognition.

Perhaps a fingerprint scanner as well as the screen so we finally have some security, which is another issue holding these devices back. they can never store much data about us on them, whilst there is zero security.

strayfish

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2017, 04:26:21 am »

So, yes, yes, a screen please.

Also I would like either a camera so Alexa can see you, and know who you are and that you are there. But I suspect many would not like that. Or voice recognition.

Radio with a camera/screen that recognises facial expressions - early days but heading in the direction you're looking for? https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/video/2017/jan/17/meet-solo-the-emotional-radio-that-plays-music-to-suit-your-mood-video?utm_source=esp&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=GU+Today+main+NEW+H+categories&utm_term=208953&subid=16830694&CMP=EMCNEWEML6619I2

coyote

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2017, 09:48:04 am »
I'm for devices with screens being added to the current roster, as long as those screens can be controlled by voice. Such functions as scrolling up/down, left/right, page back/forth, and zooming would need voice control, and the kitchen is the natural place for that.

I'm not in favor of having to look into the screen/camera whenever you want to do something. Right now I can sit on my couch with my cats on my lap and say "alexa, turn off the Christmas lights" and the EchoDot 20 feet away hears me and does it. Having to get up and look into a camera to accomplish that defeats the concept; might as well drag your phone all round the house with you at that point. For security-related apps, a voice print will have to suffice.