Echo & Alexa Forums

Connect Echo Dot to Honeywell EvoHome HR92 Radiator Valve

Bert-Jan52

Connect Echo Dot to Honeywell EvoHome HR92 Radiator Valve
« on: November 28, 2016, 03:46:52 pm »
I use my Echo Dot to control he lights and the TV/stereo system. I am thinking of buying a Honewell Evohome HR92 Radiator Valve. Just the one valve, not the controller tablet, for the living room in my apartment.
Is it possible to voice-control this radiator valve via the Echo Dot? And if yes, only by 'higher' / 'lower' type commands, or also by stating specific temperatures?

Thanks,

Bert-Jan

DParker

Re: Connect Echo Dot to Honeywell EvoHome HR92 Radiator Valve
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2016, 03:58:12 pm »
I use my Echo Dot to control he lights and the TV/stereo system. I am thinking of buying a Honewell Evohome HR92 Radiator Valve. Just the one valve, not the controller tablet, for the living room in my apartment.
Is it possible to voice-control this radiator valve via the Echo Dot? And if yes, only by 'higher' / 'lower' type commands, or also by stating specific temperatures?

Thanks,

Bert-Jan

Based on what I've been able to find Alexa does indeed have a direct EvoHome integration (including in the UK, as of a couple of months ago), as well as being able to control EvoHome systems via an IFTTT channel.  But I believe you need the EvoHome controller for any of it to work, as the individual components of the system are not directly controllable by anything else.  The integrations are cloud-based (like just about all such integrations), and operate via the EvoHome controller.

Bert-Jan52

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2016, 04:55:26 pm »
Ouch, that's an expensive extra bit of kit.  :-[
Thanks for the info though.

Drew

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2016, 09:02:50 am »
Hi,

I've got the EvoHome system and a frightening number of radiator valves (24 valves off the top of my head). You'll need the controller unit to control the valves, even if it's only one value. So it's an expensive option.

I'm in an old house and needed to be able to add zones so that I could control different sections of the house independently. I can schedule the heating to go on and off in different areas at different times.

I'd suggest, if you have a house where you're not looking to introduce zones, you'll probably be better going for something like a Nest thermostat or Hive. You can use this to control the global temperature of your house.  This wasn't going to work for me because the thermostat is actually in the coldest part of the house and it meant the heating was always on.

I set up the Echo last night and connected it to the EvoHome system no problem. It works a treat and I can tell Alexa to set the temperature for any of the zones I have set up and it overrides the scheduled temperature in that zone until the next scheduled temperature change. So, it's working exactly how I'd expect.

I hope that helps.