Echo & Alexa Forums

Schlage Connect Z-Wave deadbolt

DParker

Schlage Connect Z-Wave deadbolt
« on: November 28, 2016, 03:35:16 pm »
The deadbolt on the front door to my house is just over 24 years old, and has worn internally to the point that it was becoming difficult to get the key to turn, even after disassembly and being cleaned/lubed thoroughly with WD-40...so I decided it was time to replace it.  Since the door has a deadbolt + handleset configuration I needed to replace the whole set, and just by luck Home Depot had the "Camelot" series of Schlage Connect Z-Wave deadbolts on sale as part of bolt + handleset packages...so I ordered one in aged bronze:

It arrived two weeks ago, but I had to wait for my wife to decide on and buy some paint (she decided that it was time for the door to be repainted as well).  She finally did that this past Friday morning, so I was able to install the Schlage hardware early in the afternoon.  Installation couldn't have been easier.  Everything just bolted into place.  The only modification I had to do was to grab a small chisel and a hammer and expand the size of the hole in the door frame where the bolt goes so that the new one wouldn't rub at all and strain the motor that actuates the bolt (this was the fault of the lazy construction workers who built our house and made the hole just barely large enough for the old bolt, and not an issue with the Schlage product).

The keypad and all functions work flawlessly, the unit joined my SmartThings hub's Z-Wave network quickly and without issue and responds fairly quickly to lock/unlock commands from the associated smart app, including the rule I created to automatically lock the door every evening at 9:00 PM.  Now, if battery life meets expectations (it should, the deadbolt is unlocked from outside rather infrequently, generally only when one of our grown young 'uns come to visit) I should be able to give the unit two thumbs-up.

stusviews

Re: Schlage Connect Z-Wave deadbolt
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2016, 09:58:40 pm »
I agree. I replace almost all of our non-automation Schlage locks with the Z-wave equivalent. Now if only Schlage would allow a skill ...

But, I can lock and unlock the locks using a (somewhat costly) ISY. The ISY allows control of all Insteon and most Z-Wave devices.