Get CPR certified in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.
Echo & Alexa Forums

Any way to put an equalizer in the streaming chain?

Kyle76

Any way to put an equalizer in the streaming chain?
« on: November 07, 2016, 11:16:33 am »
I have a Dot currently using a free trial of Amazon Music Unlimited.  Some control over the audio signal would be nice.  Is there any way to put some kind of equalizer in the signal chain?

mike27oct

Re: Any way to put an equalizer in the streaming chain?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2016, 02:33:24 pm »
Run the audio out into a stereo system and use the tone controls of the amp.

Kyle76

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2016, 02:39:35 pm »
Good thought, but I'm using powered speakers in my office.  I'd rather not buy an amp.  I was wondering if there was some sort of equalizer that I could run the signal through.  Not that big a deal.  I'm really hoping the app gets some equalizer controls.

RustedRoot

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2016, 02:26:20 pm »
+1
Set up my new Dot yesterday and after listening to music through my phone using Audio FX (equalizer) with a Taotronics B/T speakers it's awful listening to music with Alexa through the same speaker without an equalizer.  If I didn't know the capability of this speaker I would have sent it back to Amazon immediately -- it's that comparatively bad through Alexa.  Instructing Alexa to "increase bass" is not a fix and here's why:  just say "Alexa, increase" and the white light ring will illuminate to the level of the volume, i.e. it only affects volume and not frequency settings.  I suspect those who swear that it works are experiencing a placebo effect.

I have an idea that could be so stupid I'll try it first before posting here. Don't get your hopes up. 

Even after one day I'm desperate for a fix. Wish I had the knowledge to develop an Alexa Skill here.  Here's hoping someone with the knowledge does it.

DParker

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2016, 06:35:47 pm »
+1
Set up my new Dot yesterday and after listening to music through my phone using Audio FX (equalizer) with a Taotronics B/T speakers it's awful listening to music with Alexa through the same speaker without an equalizer.  If I didn't know the capability of this speaker I would have sent it back to Amazon immediately -- it's that comparatively bad through Alexa.

The whole point of the Dot was sacrificing the bigger and pricier speakers of the Echo in order to produce a smaller version at a significantly lower price point, but still give you the ability to avail yourself of a higher quality external audio system if you wish (hence the wired and Bluetooth output capabilities).

rafar

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2016, 08:27:55 pm »
A very simple solution would be to connect the output of the Amazon Dot to a standalone "graphics equalizer". If you do a search on Amazon, you'll find plenty of them at various price ranges. You will most likely need a 3.5mm Stereo Male To 2 male RCA connector Cable, since most equalizers have RCA connectors and the Dot has a 3.5mm stereo output. They sell plenty of those also on Amazon. You can then take the output of the equalizer to your powered speakers and control the sound in any way you want.

RustedRoot

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2016, 09:18:43 pm »
A very simple solution would be to connect the output of the Amazon Dot to a standalone "graphics equalizer". If you do a search on Amazon, you'll find plenty of them at various price ranges. You will most likely need a 3.5mm Stereo Male To 2 male RCA connector Cable, since most equalizers have RCA connectors and the Dot has a 3.5mm stereo output. They sell plenty of those also on Amazon. You can then take the output of the equalizer to your powered speakers and control the sound in any way you want.

Thanks. Also looking at B/T speakers with built in equalizers.

RustedRoot

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2016, 09:22:35 pm »
+1
Set up my new Dot yesterday and after listening to music through my phone using Audio FX (equalizer) with a Taotronics B/T speakers it's awful listening to music with Alexa through the same speaker without an equalizer.  If I didn't know the capability of this speaker I would have sent it back to Amazon immediately -- it's that comparatively bad through Alexa.

The whole point of the Dot was sacrificing the bigger and pricier speakers of the Echo in order to produce a smaller version at a significantly lower price point, but still give you the ability to avail yourself of a higher quality external audio system if you wish (hence the wired and Bluetooth output capabilities).

I'm aware of that.  That's exactly the reason I bought the Dot and the better speaker.  My point is that the speaker is not nearly as good as it could be listening to music through the Dot absent an equalizer than it is through the phone with an equalizer app.  Hope that clears it up.

DParker

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2016, 10:04:56 pm »
I'm aware of that.  That's exactly the reason I bought the Dot and the better speaker.  My point is that the speaker is not nearly as good as it could be listening to music through the Dot absent an equalizer than it is through the phone with an equalizer app.  Hope that clears it up.

OK, my bad.  I misread the part about using your Bluetooth speaker with your Dot.

RustedRoot

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2016, 10:53:59 am »

OK, my bad.  I misread the part about using your Bluetooth speaker with your Dot.

NP.  Obviously I'm new to the forum but I've seen many of your informative/helpful posts already which have gotten my attention.  Rather than adding a cumbersome in-line equalizer I'm going to step-up to a speaker with a built-in equalizer (they're all limited I know.)  I've been looking at the UE Boom2 (just missed it at $110 on Amazon), VAVA Voom 21 and the Creative Roar Pro.  Any recommendations in the $90 - $150 range (or lower) or should I post this query elsewhere elsewhere?  Thanks