Echo & Alexa Forums

Wouldn't it be nice if Alexa could read recipes?

jjb94941

Wouldn't it be nice if Alexa could read recipes?
« on: July 08, 2015, 05:43:29 pm »
Most of us have tablets, laptops and computers all over the house and for many of us, the Echo is a fun toy.

There is one thing that the Echo could do that would be truly useful and supersede what other touch-required devices can't do: read recipes to us.

Imagine if we could load a recipe (ingredients and steps) and then have Alexa read the ingredients to us, automatically pausing after each and then continuing when instructed.  Then of course the same with each of the recipe steps.  There'd be no danger of spilling stuff on a device / having to use wet hands to move from step to step etc.

Shouldn't be too hard to implement.  No?
« Last Edit: July 08, 2015, 06:49:24 pm by jjb94941 »

roadbug

Re: Wouldn't it be nice if Alexa could read recipes?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2015, 01:28:46 am »
Could you create an audio file, and have it play that file ?   You record yourself reading the recipe and put it into your music stored on Amazon and label it "My Recipe".  Then when you are playing it back you can start and stop it just like a song.  Think that would work?

jjb94941

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2015, 10:25:14 am »
Good idea.

Only problem is I don't sound as good as Alexa  ;D

ScarlettPhoenix

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2015, 08:07:58 am »
You could get Scarlett Johansson to read it for you, just like in the movie, "Her".

George Jetson

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2015, 08:43:55 pm »
Wouldn't mind some drink recipe's   8)

jjb94941

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2015, 08:15:17 pm »
I tried RoadBug's suggestion.  Worked like a champ!  And my wife sounds even better than Alexa.