Echo & Alexa Forums

UK Echo Dot being used in Sweden

adamopolis

UK Echo Dot being used in Sweden
« on: November 23, 2016, 11:35:18 am »
I purchased an Echo Dot whilst in the UK and have now set this up at home in Sweden (by side loading the Alexa app) and the echo dot connects to my home wifi and is basically functional. However, I have the following problems:

1) In the "Settings" section of the app, the device shows up as being "Offline" - even though I can talk to Alexa and get answers to questions etc.
2) I cant set the device location to Sweden (only accepts UK and US addresses)
3) Other changes made in the app (such as defining my "commute" are not propagated to the echo dot, when I ask for traffic on my commute it tells me I need to set this up in the app.

Presumably 3) is related to 1) - does anyone know why the device may show up as being "offline" when it blatantly isn't? Could this be because I am using it in Sweden??
and point 2) is presumably because locations in Sweden are not allowed / expected - is there any way of hacking this??

Many thanks.

dhanjel

Re: UK Echo Dot being used in Sweden
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2016, 11:38:08 am »
Hi

Just installed my first Echo Dot in sweden, and it shows up as Online.

adamopolis

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2016, 11:41:59 am »
OK! That's encouraging.... but are you able to set your location or your commute in the settings of the alexa app? and have that information successfully propagated to the echo dot?

dhanjel

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2016, 12:37:50 pm »
nope, not managed to do antything about the commute part yet.

but at least the timezone now is correct so I can set up alarms and I can turn on/off my lamps, so I´m quite happy.
TuneIn, Spotify and Audible has worked out great so far as well.

lifeform

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2016, 04:08:24 am »
Hey! I bought my Amazon Echo in London two months ago, I am very satisfied! ;D I had to install it with the Berlin time zone, traffic information works well, you set it in preferences. I use TP-Link SmartPlug HS110 for my lights, etc. I have also tried using "IFTTT Maker Connect" which is a skill that you can install to use IFTTT (as a last resort), but in my case I have not got it to work yet. IFTTT works only in the US in the current situation. Buy no D-link products yet because they do not work in Europe yet, in the US they work. I use my Echo mainly for: Spotify, TuneIn, timing, weather, traffic, lighting, Find My iPhone (a skill), how do you use yours?

adamopolis

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2016, 01:13:34 pm »
Thanks Lifeform!

But how did you set the location? In the app and webpage preferences it will only accept US or UK addresses as far as I can see.....

lifeform

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2016, 09:29:01 am »
Hi again,
I just wrote Berlin as the city, and then it suggested a street when I pressed a key on the keyboard, (I used the web based interface with my computer)

lifeform

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2016, 09:36:50 am »
Hi again, I actually wrote Frankfurt, see the attached link:-)
http://www.talstudion.se/alexa.jpg

adamopolis

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2016, 10:01:17 am »
Hmmmm, it seems like German addresses are accepted by the web UI (which at least sets the timezone correctly) but not other ones. There are instructions here for over-riding / hacking this:

http://beebom.com/how-to-set-up-and-use-amazon-echo-outside-us/

But the comments indicate that the method no longer works.