Echo & Alexa Forums

Good Morning - Fact for the day - Vanished - What's happened?

Snafs

Good Morning - Fact for the day - Vanished - What's happened?
« on: November 21, 2016, 08:19:19 am »
Here in the UK, I was pleased to wish Alexa good morning each day, and she said good morning in return, together with an interesting fact for the day.

"On this day in 1923 the 1st painting of a chimp on the moon was published"

I made that up ;)
But something like that.

This was working fine until a few days ago, and now nothing, no message, just a good morning, and that's that. Does anyone know what's going on here?

DParker

Re: Good Morning - Fact for the day - Vanished - What's happened?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2016, 08:35:09 am »
Beats me.  It still works here in the U.S. (or at least in my little corner of it).

strayfish

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2016, 09:22:49 am »

This was working fine until a few days ago, and now nothing, no message, just a good morning, and that's that. Does anyone know what's going on here?

Maybe there haven't been any worthy of note for us Brits recently. But if it's a change, I've noticed another one - when I set the sleep timer it used to say, 'Ok I'll stop playing in [30] minutes' but now it just says, 'Timer set for [30] minutes' which isn't quite so chummy.

Snafs

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2016, 03:44:27 pm »
Beats me.  It still works here in the U.S. (or at least in my little corner of it).

Thanks for letting me know it's still working in the USA, some differences between the US and UK ones I can appreciate, esp when it comes to sports/news etc.

Things like worldwide historical event of the day, or sing happy birthday are things I don't understand why should be different.

Snafs

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2016, 03:47:52 pm »

Maybe there haven't been any worthy of note for us Brits recently. But if it's a change, I've noticed another one - when I set the sleep timer it used to say, 'Ok I'll stop playing in [30] minutes' but now it just says, 'Timer set for [30] minutes' which isn't quite so chummy.

Well, as far as I can recall the ones I was getting were not UK specific, just anything from around the world that was a significant event for that day.
Almost every single day, something historical must have happened.

Perhaps I need to contact Amazon/echo and ask, as I'm sure many miss this.

Regarding the sleep timer, I will admit this is not something I have tried yet.
But I agree with your sentiment that, Amazon desperately need to put as much friendly personality into this device as is possible. It helps so much with the interaction.

strayfish

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2016, 06:27:22 pm »

Well, as far as I can recall the ones I was getting were not UK specific, just anything from around the world that was a significant event for that day.
Almost every single day, something historical must have happened.

Perhaps I need to contact Amazon/echo and ask, as I'm sure many miss this.

Regarding the sleep timer, I will admit this is not something I have tried yet.
But I agree with your sentiment that, Amazon desperately need to put as much friendly personality into this device as is possible. It helps so much with the interaction.

Just checked the app and the last fact seems to have been November 17th - Queen Eliz I preferring to be a beggar and single than a queen and married. Nothing since. For the sleep timer (handy if you like to nod off to music or a book), I'm going to check I haven't changed the phrasing I've used in the instruction. Who knows, that might make a difference.

AlanH

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2016, 02:35:38 am »
Fact of the day back for me this morning - anniversary of the Beatle's White Album.

Snafs

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2016, 03:03:38 am »
Yayyyy.

As said above, we have our fact of the day, back again today in the UK.
Excellent.
It's funny how such little things like this, make such a difference. These little additions make the difference between just a bit of tech in a box, and something that add's something to your day.
I'm so happy it's back.

One little, perhaps silly thing I'd like them to also add is the GoodNight and GoodMorning replies.
Perhaps put 10 or so variations on a typical GoodNight Good Morning message, just to, again ass a little more variable personality.

I need to test out that timer also, I can much easier to to sleep with the radio on, than in silence. No idea why, but I think it's because in silence I can think about needing to go to sleep, and when listening to the radio it takes my mind off of needing to sleep. it just happens :)

strayfish

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2016, 03:28:11 am »
Fact of the day back for me this morning - anniversary of the Beatle's White Album.

You got there first - me too!

strayfish

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2016, 04:52:36 am »

I need to test out that timer also, I can much easier to to sleep with the radio on, than in silence. No idea why, but I think it's because in silence I can think about needing to go to sleep, and when listening to the radio it takes my mind off of needing to sleep. it just happens :)

I checked the sleep timer instruction and I don't think I've changed what I say so my Dot really has reverted to a more formal response :(

Just realised I can check the voice files on Amazon. That might take a while so I'll get back when I've had a chance. Whatever though - it works very nicely.

7oaks

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2016, 05:14:02 am »
As others here in UK have said the aphorisms with her good morning responses have been restored this morning after 5 days.
Her Good Night response does vary a little, sometimes Sleep Well, or Sleep Tight or Sweet Dreams for example.
I do strongly agree with others here that her responses are part of her charm, especially those that are self- deprecating / humorous.

Snafs

« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2016, 03:30:56 am »
Yes, I agree.
Whilst it's all good and of course important for Echo to perform all the technical tasks correctly, as that's what we want.
As a device? for the home, esp in a family environment, perhaps with children also.
Adding more friendly personality, whilst it may seem silly and unimportant, really makes the difference between another piece of hardware and, almost an additional helpful family member.
I use family member in a very broad term there of course :)

Whilst i'm not anti the design.
If I think about it, I would probably go back to the drawing board, and re-think to casing, to come up with a more, let's say 'Organic' look to it. Add some curves, less like a harsh sharp edged cylinder.

I'm not saying, look like a Google Home!
However that has been likened to an air-freshener in a derogatory manner.
If you do look at some of the higher end air freshener products, designed to blend into your home, many now have softer curves, with some organic design to them, compared to the cheap ones which are cylinder/blocks that are simple to produce.

Perhaps even one could even envisage a physical CORE of a device, which came with a range of body styles that clipped around it, and came in different colours and finishes, from bright bold colours, thru to stone effect surfaces.

A quick google of modern air fresheners came up with this one:
https://scjdmcdn.azureedge.net/~/media/glade/products/product-shots/automatic-spray-naked.jpg?la=en&hash=DDBD24FE6A039987E9EC1DCE6E78EE687E9FE88A

I'm not saying THAT is how a Echo should look.
However perhaps there would be a good percentage of people who would prefer something for the home more along those lines than the current tech cylinder in Black or White.

AlanH

« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2016, 04:00:16 am »
Depending on your knowledge of Mandarin/Cantonese, you might be interested in one of these  ;)
https://www.wired.com/2016/11/behold-chinas-answer-amazon-echo-linglong-dingdong/

strayfish

« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2016, 04:19:46 am »
Who remembers iCats? https://www.amazon.com/White-Hasbro-i-Cat-Robotic-Loving-Feline/dp/B000F5Z2Z8 Missed a trick there, Amazon :)

[and did you get the wibbly wobbly timey wimey this morning?]

Offline jwlv

« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2016, 05:23:16 am »
Who remembers iCats? https://www.amazon.com/White-Hasbro-i-Cat-Robotic-Loving-Feline/dp/B000F5Z2Z8 Missed a trick there, Amazon :)

[and did you get the wibbly wobbly timey wimey this morning?]

I used to have one like that, except it was a dog. It was interesting for about 10 seconds.