Echo & Alexa Forums

New Echo - Connects to Wifi, but no 'CONTINUE" button in setup to finish

Decho1

Hi everyone,

Just had my new Echo delivered and have been following the instructions to the letter.

After several hours of trying to setup the device, and many forum posts/YouTube videos, it still won't install.

Alexa tells me: "you have connected to Echo..." then when i return to the Alexa App there is no Continue Button to finalise the setup.

So far, i have:

Reset Echo a dozen times
Reset my Wifi router a dozen times
Attempted to login via the app and online around 100 times
Changed my router settings to use WPA2 Personal (AES) for the network

Anyone experienced this before? Getting really frustrated, so would really appreciate some help!

Thanks,

Decho1

mike27oct

Re: New Echo - Connects to Wifi, but no 'CONTINUE" button in setup to finish
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2016, 02:36:22 am »
It appears you are doing the right things, so perhaps something else is required.  It was for me the other day when I was setting up my 6th Echo device.  For some reason the steps were not going smoothly and "hanging" around the same point as you are.   I was setting a Dot 2nd Gen up with the iPad.  So, I decided to close Alexa app and reboot the iPad in case there was erroneous info in the Pad's cache.  Online Amazon's device help section suggested unplugging the Echo device for at least 3 minutes so all charged circuits get cleared out.

When the time arrived to turn things back on and try again, I did, and it all went smoothly and it was set up.  After it was up and running a while I set up the next new Dot, and it did so the first time.

So, try above steps and see what happens.

Blanche R. K.

Re: New Echo - Connects to Wifi, but no 'CONTINUE" button in setup to finish
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2018, 01:10:35 pm »
This worked to fix the “no continue button” problem for me during the Alexa Echo Plus setup.

1.   I unregistered the Echo Plus by going to https://alexa.amazon.com/spa/index.html#cards and clicking: SettingsDevices (the name of my Echo Plus with the word “Offline” under it)  About Device is registered to: (my name).  To the side, there is a box to click to “Deregister.”

2.   Next, I changed what my laptop computer allows my wi-fi to do by temporarily changing the laptop settings so it would “search for other devices” by going to: SettingsNetworkConnectionsWi-Fi (the name of my wi-fi network)Find Devices and Content.  At that location, there was a switch on/off for “Find PCs, devices and content on this network and automatically connect to devices like printers and TVs.  Turn this off for public networks to help keep your stuff safe.”  I turned this switch “On.”

3.   Returned to the Alexa website, https://alexa.amazon.com/spa/index.html#cards and registered the device by clicking: Settings Devices Set Up New Device.  I selected a USA time zone and matching zip code, since I am living abroad in Russia.  This time I was able to go through the entire registration process with “Continue” buttons and am happy to say it works. 

I hope this helps others.  It took about an hour of trying different online suggestions, then poking and guessing, before I decided to try this “Find Devices” toggle.  I feel awesome that I got it to work and hope I can help others by posting this.