Echo & Alexa Forums

Alexa fails to recognize artist name

Joeni

Alexa fails to recognize artist name
« on: November 19, 2016, 09:31:42 pm »
We recently purchased an Amazon Echo and while shuffling through some artists we noticed a few that Alexa has a problem playing, one of them being "Tech N9ne." Alexa recognizes the name as "Tech-9," an unrelated artist.

Alexa has no problem playing single songs by Tech N9ne, but asking it to shuffle the artist will always result in Tech-9 being played. Any way around this?

Thank you.

Offline jwlv

Re: Alexa fails to recognize artist name
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2016, 05:03:52 am »
We recently purchased an Amazon Echo and while shuffling through some artists we noticed a few that Alexa has a problem playing, one of them being "Tech N9ne." Alexa recognizes the name as "Tech-9," an unrelated artist.

Alexa has no problem playing single songs by Tech N9ne, but asking it to shuffle the artist will always result in Tech-9 being played. Any way around this?

Thank you.

Ask Tech N9ne to change their name to something more pronounceable. :)
The only other thing I can suggest is to pronounce it like it's spelled. Tek N-nine-nee.
In case you're wondering how Google Translate pronounces it, go here: https://translate.google.com/#en/es/Tech%20N9ne and then click the little speaker icon at the bottom of the text box.

Joeni

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2016, 11:49:42 am »
Ask Tech N9ne to change their name to something more pronounceable. :)
The only other thing I can suggest is to pronounce it like it's spelled. Tek N-nine-nee.
In case you're wondering how Google Translate pronounces it, go here: https://translate.google.com/#en/es/Tech%20N9ne and then click the little speaker icon at the bottom of the text box.

I have already tried that, actually. I was hoping that I could remove certain words from Alexa's vocabulary or something of that nature.

Thanks anyway.

jcastle

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2017, 02:53:12 pm »
I figured this out. As a huge Tech N9ne fan, this was driving me crazy. Alexa would recognize my speech and play my Pandora Tech N9ne radio, but would default to that other artist when trying to play off of Amazon music. I know this is an old post, but I hope I can still help people. The fix is to sign in to Amazon Music on another device, create the Tech N9ne radio station, and voila! Alexa will now cooperate and play the REAL Tech N9ne!

Offline jwlv

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2017, 10:57:58 pm »
I guess that's what Amazon meant when they say that Alexa learns from you. If you played the correct Tech N9ne, then the next time you ask for it, Alexa will play that same one. I always assumed Alexa learned about how you speak, accents, or what not. I didn't actually think Alexa learns from your preferences or action history. But it all makes sense now. :)