Get CPR certified in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.
Echo & Alexa Forums

Echo activating without the activation phrase

Ddavewoods

Re: Echo activating without the activation phrase
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2016, 02:30:48 pm »
Seemingly spontaneous  Echo activation is a common phenomenon.  Occasionally it will pick up something that sounds knida' sorta' like the wake word and will incorrectly interpret it as such.  No big deal.

It is a big deal when you are trying to convince your other half how we need this in our lives and all it does is annoy her when she's trying to watch Tv by spouting nonsense and starting to play music 😂

If that's "all it does" then maybe you should try putting it to use.
There's always one and this time it's YOU 😂

Ddavewoods

« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2016, 02:32:29 pm »
Seemingly spontaneous  Echo activation is a common phenomenon.  Occasionally it will pick up something that sounds knida' sorta' like the wake word and will incorrectly interpret it as such.  No big deal.

It is a big deal when you are trying to convince your other half how we need this in our lives and all it does is annoy her when she's trying to watch Tv by spouting nonsense and starting to play music 😂

So tell her to hit the Microphone Mute button.

Defeats the whole point of having a. Pics operated device

That's why the mute button is there. Use it. :)

The mute button is to ensure privacy if required and not to overcome an obvious albeit small annoying problem with the device 😀

strayfish

« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2016, 02:33:02 pm »
I've heard that! Intriguingly, if I say 'good afternoon' after 5pm it responds with 'good evening' which suggests it's plugged into some kind of convention about where the morning, afternoon and evening demarcations are. Makes 'good night' at 7.30 am even more baffling, whatever triggered it!

Ddavewoods

« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2016, 02:36:03 pm »
Your Echo is likely too close to TV/speakers.  Too many people keep them too close together.

A valid point but no it's in the corner adjacent to and not opposite the TV about 4 meters away at least

Ddavewoods

« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2016, 02:37:11 pm »
Yep, it can happen often, and if it is too close to a TV/speaker; quite often.  A bluetooth signal on somewhere in house can also trigger these events.  Check the Alexa app history to see if it made a record of what it "heard".

Could be the amount of Bluetooth/wireless signals bounding around the room 👍

strayfish

« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2016, 02:40:40 pm »
Hadn't thought about Bluetooth interfering. Could be that - phone, iPad; I'll monitor it. Thanks.

AlanH

« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2016, 02:41:25 pm »
Mine suddenly said 'goodnight, sleep tight' first thing in the morning a propos of nothing at all!
That's usually in response to "Goodnight Alexa"!

strayfish

« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2016, 02:48:43 pm »
Mine suddenly said 'goodnight, sleep tight' first thing in the morning a propos of nothing at all!
That's usually in response to "Goodnight Alexa"!
Yes it is; goodness only knows what was going on with it that morning!