Echo & Alexa Forums

How to avoid a shock in the early hours

strayfish

How to avoid a shock in the early hours
« on: November 19, 2016, 04:25:56 am »
If you haven't discovered this yet, (assuming it happens to more than me), when Echo loses its signal for a radio station or its connection to the internet, it picks up where it left off as soon as the signal's back. So far so good. The problem arises when you forget to call it up and cancel what it was doing so that, some time later when your day has moved on, you start hearing voices in the bedroom where there shouldn't be voices, or it suddenly belts out your favourite rock station as you're just dozing off. Mildly entertaining but only after you've got over the shock.

Re: How to avoid a shock in the early hours
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2016, 06:38:36 am »
You could always just unplug it at night. :)
-Paul.

strayfish

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2016, 06:59:37 am »
Not if you want it on sleep timer or morning alarm or any other function you'd have to go and plug it in for instead of just, well, having it do what it's best at. Course you could set yourself up as a haunted house and scare the bejabbers out of visitors :)

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2016, 07:15:24 am »
Not if you want it on sleep timer or morning alarm or any other function you'd have to go and plug it in for instead of just, well, having it do what it's best at. Course you could set yourself up as a haunted house and scare the bejabbers out of visitors :)

Okay, good point. :)

Are you getting stations that disconnect and go silent for minutes or longer at time? If so, what stations and are they TuneIn? IHeartRadio?
-Paul.

strayfish

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2016, 08:12:29 am »
Usually BBC stations and yes, Tunein. I've played internet stations but nowhere near as often so I can't say if the same issue applies. There's a kind of stuttering at first then off it goes. I can almost always get it back straight away but just occasionally I haven't bothered and that's when a sudden re-connection takes me unawares. Once it was several hours later and very loud as I'd been hoovering or something before it had gone off. Another time the Dot in the bedroom started up again with a talk station so I could hear what sounded like whispering in there. Added unexpected atmosphere to the creepy drama I was watching!

mike27oct

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2016, 05:29:32 pm »
This problem occurs with Tunein stations and in my case, mostly the same certain ones.  You can solve this by telling Alexa stop even when it is doing nothing.  This practice is known as CYA.

strayfish

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2016, 06:25:29 pm »
This practice is known as CYA.
Had to look that up; will be applying it liberally!

mike27oct

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2016, 07:02:40 pm »
Yep, just hang out with the Americans and learn something new.

strayfish

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2016, 04:47:01 am »
Yep, just hang out with the Americans and learn something new.
Ha, yes! Although this may be more of a - erm - generational deficit than a geographical one :)

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2016, 11:06:26 am »
Next lesson: "RTFM"

What manual? And where in that manual would it mention audio dropouts?
-Paul.

strayfish

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2016, 11:07:26 am »
You lead me to any funny business and I'll be back with a NBLP!

strayfish

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2016, 11:10:31 am »

What manual? And where in that manual would it mention audio dropouts?

Ah! And yes, what FM (RD Section in Particular)? :-D

mike27oct

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2016, 02:00:24 pm »
What manual?

These manuals: 
https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=hp_ss_v3_ds_t4?ie=UTF8&nodeId=200127470

I figure if I post this link enough times here, people will RTFM, and the number of unnecessary questions will be reduced!  Ha, fat chance!

« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2016, 02:02:06 pm »
What manual?

These manuals: 
https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=hp_ss_v3_ds_t4?ie=UTF8&nodeId=200127470

I figure if I post this link enough times here, people will RTFM, and the number of unnecessary questions will be reduced!  Ha, fat chance!

That says nothing about the topic (which is streaming audio issues with TuneIn).
-Paul.

mike27oct

« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2016, 02:10:39 pm »
The problem is with TuneIn, (either via Echo or the separate Tunein app) so tell them and their flakey stations. 
Garbage in; garbage out.