Echo & Alexa Forums

Battery base for Echo

AlanH

Battery base for Echo
« on: November 10, 2016, 01:05:10 pm »
I've just bought one of these for my Echo. It's a rechargeable battery base and allows Echo to be removed from its mains supply and become fully portable. I've only used it for a day so far and it's performing as advertised.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Smatree-Intelligent-Battery-9000mAh-Anywhere-Base-Amazon-Echo/dp/B01LYK0R6T/ref=pd_rhf_gw_p_img_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=CKY5YHXYJYK9EV7RDW0D

Jake

Re: Battery base for Echo
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2016, 04:44:29 am »
Many thanks for that, AlanH. I shall order one.

E-Warrior

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2016, 10:05:14 am »
I have just bought one of these based on your link and the reviews posted on Amazon. It arrived this morning and I really like how well it seems to be made. Nice and solid with good looks. You'd think it was an original part of the Echo.  Someone said in one review that it even improves the sound from the speakers.  Anyway, it's just what I needed so thanks.  ;)

SnowWight

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2016, 02:09:56 pm »
Would have ordered one but Amazon won't deliver to the Isle of Wight! The same with alcohol. I don't know why but it irritates as there is no restrictions on the ferries and I can see the mainland! Grrrrrr!

AlanH

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2016, 02:12:49 pm »
Issue with items containing Li-ion batteries? My package had a huge warning sticker on it.

SnowWight

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2016, 04:10:16 pm »
Shouldn't make any difference, its only a 20 minute ferry ride. It could blow up on a lorry just as easily as a boat. They will not ship alcohol either. I wouldn't mind but we do have booze and batteries here and we don't make them

AlanH

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2016, 04:13:19 pm »
There's the option of having it delivered to an Amazon Locker on the mainland.

SnowWight

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2016, 04:37:27 pm »
Which adds a minimum cost of £22 for me to catch a ferry. Other than that good idea  :)

AlanH

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2016, 05:34:54 pm »
Apologies. I assumed you island dwellers made regular trips to the mainland for supplies  ;)

SnowWight

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2016, 05:49:24 pm »
Lol. We have a population of about 150,000. No need to visit the mainland really and you should see the prices to take a car over! :o

AlanH

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2016, 02:27:24 pm »
Tried a battery test today. Fully charged battery, and disconnected from power supply. Played a radio station from TuneIn, volume set to 3, and no voice commands at all. Battery died at 7 hours 50 minutes. Obviously a higher volume and voice commands during the day would reduce this, but I'm happy with this performance.

ggoodwin

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2016, 02:26:39 pm »
Thanks for the info on this.  I've ordered one which is being delivered tomorrow.

ggoodwin

« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2016, 03:06:52 pm »
So, the base arrived and I was very pleased with it....initially.  Nice piece of kit and easy to hook up.  I charged it up fully and then disconnected it to try it out.  I then noticed a faint ticking noise coming from the Echo.  It sounded like some sort of network interference being picked up by the speaker.  I moved it around the house but the noise was still there.

I could only get rid of the noise by connecting it with the mains adapter, if I connected it up via the usb power port then the noise was still there.

I contacted the company and, to their credit, they sent me a replacement straight away.  That arrived this afternoon and I was pleased when the problem wasn't there.  However, once I'd got the device up to full charge, it was just the same as the first one.

Has anyone here who has one of these noticed this at all?