0 (0%)
Can't connect
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Dot 2nd gen

Sillverback

Dot 2nd gen
« on: November 08, 2016, 01:33:57 pm »
I've just bought my dot and all I'm getting is a blank screen on my fone during wifi setup any ideas please

mindmagic

Re: Dot 2nd gen
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2016, 03:45:37 am »
If you have a dual band router, make sure that your Dot and your phone are on the same band, or try connecting to the other band. You can also try using the app on your PC at http://alexa.amazon.co.uk

If you have a BT Hub, there is a known problem and a published solution. Look on Amazon's Help page (under Devices).

mike27oct

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2016, 06:29:28 pm »
To OP:

Is your phone on the home wifi network, and NOT the cell network during setup? Your Dot and phone must be on the same (SSID) home network, (except when first setting it up when the phone must be set to the amazon-XXX wifi signal until you are told to switch to your home network.

Also, the following statement made above is totally NOT true:  (If you have a dual band router, make sure that your Dot and your phone are on the same band,... )

They just need to be on the same network (SSID) but do not need to be on the same band.

Since setting up my Echo. two Dots and two Taps, the Alexa devices have always been on my 2.4G band, and my phones and tablets are all on the 5G band.  My wireless devices that I want to run faster for video streaming, file transfers, etc are all on the 5G band, and all other (slower) devices (like audio-only devices such as Alexa devices) are still on the 2.4G band.  All work perfectly fine.  Basically, reserve the 5G band for devices that MUST use the fastest band for best results.

mindmagic

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2016, 05:15:08 am »
Interesting. I couldn't get my Echo to connect at all on the 2.4 GHz band, the stronger signal, but it's fine on 5 GHz. It may be due to interference from neighbours, though. I have seen a suggestion elsewhere on this forum that you should turn off auto-switching on your phone. Also, apparently a Wemo switch, which only works on 2.4 GHz, won't be seen by an Echo on 5 GHz.

DParker

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2016, 08:54:59 am »
Also, apparently a Wemo switch, which only works on 2.4 GHz, won't be seen by an Echo on 5 GHz.

What makes you say that?  To the extent that your Echo communicates wth local WeMo switches via the local network it does so through your router.

mike27oct

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2016, 02:10:17 pm »
@mindmagic

Good questions and comments made to you by Parker, above.

Let's forget about Alexa devices for a moment and briefly discuss Wi-Fi signals, devices and their connectivity:
Any device on your home network's SSID, either connected via wired, or by one of the Wi-Fi bands, (2.4G or 5G) can be seen or accessed by another device on the network assuming all are properly configured.

At the current moment, my router shows 14 wired devices and 11 wireless devices connected to it.  the wireless devices consist of devices connected either on the 2.4 band or the 5G band.  Any of the devices intended to connect/interact with any or all of the other devices can do so.  As I said before, if a device is set up properly, it does not matter how it is connected to the home network; it can interact with any device it is designed to interact with.

mindmagic

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2016, 05:59:59 am »
Also, apparently a Wemo switch, which only works on 2.4 GHz, won't be seen by an Echo on 5 GHz.

What makes you say that?  To the extent that your Echo communicates wth local WeMo switches via the local network it does so through your router.

http://www.belkin.com/us/support-article?articleNum=8182

DParker

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2016, 08:37:42 am »
http://www.belkin.com/us/support-article?articleNum=8182

Although that article is about the WeMo mobile app, not Echo, I did a little searching and found a few instances of the same claim regarding the Echo, including one at the WeMo site that says having your Echo on the 2.4 band "can help with discovery" (not that it is required).  This seems odd considering that this from Amazon...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201751350

...instructs you to enable UPnP on your router, making it clear that the Echo will discover WeMo devices via the router connection.  I guess I have more reading to do.