Echo & Alexa Forums

Location based commands - multiple Dot's

GruttyMan

Location based commands - multiple Dot's
« on: November 08, 2016, 12:59:38 pm »
I have an Echo and six Echo dots in conjunction with a home automation setup from Hive.

I'm finding that although they work fine, we are using them less and less because of the complexity of remembering specific commands for all of the lights across the house (15 lights/lamps, 12 plugs).

Anyone know if Amazon plan any kind of 'location awareness' for a setup like this? 

For example, the command 'lights on' while in the dining room will recognise that the command originated from the dining room Dot and only switch on the dining room lamp.

DParker

Re: Location based commands - multiple Dot's
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2016, 02:24:44 pm »
Although long on many users' expressed wish lists (including mine), Amazon has yet to announce plans for that feature.  In the meantime, I've found that simply giving your light/device groupings obvious names (kitchen lights, living room lights, bedroom lights, etc) it's an easy matter to remember and use them.

Snafs

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2016, 05:07:18 pm »
Indeed.

Alexa turn the light on.

which light?

Well I'm standing here, next to you, in the dark, take a wild guess!

;)

stusviews

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2016, 04:45:22 pm »
I'm using an ISY (Universal-Devices.com) with a portal which allows up to five accounts. Each group of Echos (3)/Dots (7) is registered to a different account.

So I can ask Alexa to, "turn the light on," and only the light in the room I'm in turns on. If I want to control a device in a room other than the one I'm in, then I do need to name the location, for example, "turn on the kitchen light," if I'm not in the kitchen.

rafar

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2016, 08:53:15 pm »
I've been waiting and hoping Amazon would some day add this capability as well. If they do, it would potentially open-up the new home builder market to the Amazon Echo/Dot as they could pre-install the Dot in each room of a new home.
I am surprised they have not yet added this capability. The Universal Devices ISY idea is good, but somehow expensive and I believe also requires a portal subscription.

kevorama

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2016, 02:48:37 am »
I have an outdoor speaker system that is attached to a Yamaha receiver that is connected to my main computer at home. I'd like to have my ECHO out on the deck, one of my DOT's connected to the receiver and use the ECHO to tell the DOT what to play. In other words, that particular DOT would be assignable. Similar to what is being asked in this forum/post.
EX: I'm on the deck and I ask my ECHO " Alexa, have DOT #1 play classic rock" (and that DOT would be connected by wire to the receiver in question) and have it play through the receiver and outdoor speakers instead of through my ECHO.
Is that possible? I'm sure it could be done with firmware updates/upgrades. With enough people asking for lighting and assignable modes maybe we can get this done. It would really make the ECHO a winner and more versatile.

DParker

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2016, 07:23:25 am »
Is that possible?

No.  At least, not at this time.  All you can do right now is use the Alexa app to initiate streaming to your target device.